Menu
mikeparkie
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

[SH3] [VIVID150] Questions and problems

Good evening, I have a few queries and technical questions I wondered if the community could help with + feedback for VM.

1. Perform Diagnosis
Perform Diagnosis never works for me, I’m signed into my Virgin media account, I’ve tried multiple times on different machines and different browsers in my network and the result is the same each time.

https://my.virginmedia.com/faults/perform-diagnosis

Oops something's broken
We're sorry this isn't the page you wanted

This part of the site isn't working at the moment, but it'll be up and running again soon. Please come back and try again later.

Other parts of the site might work as normal, so try using the links below to help you find what you want.

Does this work for anyone else or is it just me?

2. Account Upgrades
Trying to access account upgrades when signed in:

https://store.virginmedia.com/existing-customer/my-offers/offers

We're sorry, but we're unable to change your package online. We'll be happy to do it for you over the phone, and it'll only take a few minutes. Please call us on 0345 454 1111 to speak to someone who can help.

It’s 2017, you’re telling me you can’t complete an account upgrade automatically online!

3. Known issues
Is there a simple Virgin Media page I can go to find a list of known issues with the SH3, I’ve spent hours trawling through posts trying to see if they relate to the following issues?

4. Release Notes
Where do I find the release notes for firmware updates? So that I can see if I’m on the latest version and whether issues have been resolved or not?

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Super-hub-1-2-2ac-and-Hub-3-0-firmware/td...

Gives me the current version but doesn’t tell you anything about the fixes.

5. Diagnostics page
Where does one find a page which explains what the error messages mean?

I’d like to be able to study/fault find without just calling Virgin.

Now to my actual Super Hub 3 issues

6. Naming devices:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/HUB-3-Connected-Device-Names-muddled/td-p...

When is this issue being resolved? I find it extremely annoying that my device names are muddled. It was logged on 01-02-2016 and still no fix.

7. Constant sign outs

After hitting apply on multiple screens (for example) if I disable 5GHz Wifi I get kicked out to the login screen. This happens on multiple other screens too.

8. Port speed errors on Network diagnostics page
Running a network diagnostics page says: client on port 2 is running at 100 Mbps. Which is tripe as my network adapter speed says 1Gbps and my speed test come back at 150 (ish) Mbps, clearly not 100 Mbps!

9. Port Forwarding Rules already exist
Creating a rule and then trying to delete that rule produces an error to say it already exists. You have to log out and back in for it to work, or at least I do.

10. 5GHz Wifi Not usable (My main issue)
If I do a speed test on my Google Pixel XL on 2.4 Ghz I get around 90 Mbps, If I do a speed test on a separate SSID on 5 Ghz I’m getting less than 1 Mbps, I’ve also completed the same test on my wife’s Google LG Nexus 5X. This has been causing us an issue as video is buffering whenever apps (namely Facebook Video) connect to the (so say faster 5GHz), 4G data connection do not present this issue. Therefore I have to leave it disabled in order to have a functioning Wifi connection (else I'm in buffering hell) on 5GHz, so I upgraded from SH2 at a cost and have a shoddier service.

I completed a factory reset (SH3) last weekend and set everything up again (in case I had any corruption) in my config. I also gave everything static IP's (namely for easy address referencing). I rebuilt our phones and sanity checked everything.   

For information:
My setup 

SuperHub 3 (9.1.116V)
Everything has a static IP through DHCP, all devices retrieve via DHCP)

1x Desktop PC, upstairs and next to the router, wired 1 Gbps (Logitech MX Master Mouse + K800 Keyboard)
1x Laptop, downstairs, static
2x BT Home Hotspot 500 powerline adapters (two Samsung TV’s connect at each end)

Only Wireless N is enabled (5Ghz currently disabled) at 20/40 MHz auto band selected
I have 2.4Ghz+5Ghz SH3 and Hotspot all using the same SSID on the same bands etc (Hotspot 500 only runs 2.4 Ghz)

My network also includes: 
Nest (Gen 1) Thermostat (wireless)
Nest Protect (Gen 1 + Gen 2) (wireless)
Vera Edge Controller hardwired to router (Wifi disabled)
Philips Hue (Gen 2) (wireless)

network.PNG

Thanks in advance for any input. I have been through the forums, so apologies if I've missed anything. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: [SH3] [VIVID150] Questions and problems

Hi there mikeparkie,

Thanks for posting on the community. It's nice to have you here.

I appreciate your questions/queries and apologies for any inconvenience these have caused you. I will try my best to answer as much as I can.

1. Have you tried to delete cache/cookies or tried another browser?

2. In some instances changing a package or upgrading is not available online due to the offers available.

3. We don't have a page for Hub 3 related issues. If you notice a specific issue, please post here for us to check over.

4. Also we don't publish firmware updates.

5. To understand error messages, post here and we can help as much as we can.

6. When naming devices, try a factory reset to see if that helps.

7. When applying the change were you connected to the 5GHz network at the time?

8. Does this only happen on port 2?

9. Try Port Forwarding in sequential order.

10. Have you tried to change the wireless channel to see if that improves the connection? Are you connected to the powerline adaptor or direct to the Hub 3?

Hope this helps

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
mikeparkie
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.

1. Yes, I've tried this on two separate machines in the house and it's the same on each. Same thing on a virtual machine too, and yes I've tried clearing my cookies, I think it's account related rather than machine related.

2. It shouldn't be displayed on the page then, just some feedback.

3. Again, some feedback to make users life a little easier.

4. Again, please pass on the feedback.

5. I will thanks.

6. I have recently reset my SH3, it was like it before and still the same since. I've read other people with this issue too, link included, telling me to reset the device when other people are having the same issue isn't very helpful.

7. No, I'm hard wired to the router. The kick out happen randomly on different pages at different times, usually when apply changes on various different settings. And it's certainly not due to inactivity.

8. Nope, as you can see from my recent test 21:59 06/02/2017, it happens on multiple ports:

Wired client on port 1 is running at 100 Mbps.
Device connected on port 1 is running at a lower speed of 100 Mbps and is not utilizing the full available speed.
Wired client on port 2 is running at 100 Mbps.
Device connected on port 2 is running at a lower speed of 100 Mbps and is not utilizing the full available speed.
Wired client on port 4 is running at 100 Mbps.
Device connected on port 4 is running at a lower speed of 100 Mbps and is not utilizing the full available speed.

9. Why? I shouldn't need to. I can get around this by logging in and out a few times. I'm just raising this as an issue.

10. Currently 5Ghz is disabled because of the the astrous performance. Previously when they were enabled, I cycled the connection through different channels.

I do have powerline adapters in in the house, 2.4 Ghz Wireless N (BT Hotspot 500, during my testing I powered them off to prove that they were not causing any interference. Also my wifi analyzer app (on my phone) shows that I'm on a quiet channel.

-----

As I've said I have previously reset the router and rebuilt all of the configuration from scratch to rule out a dodgy config. My network is a little bigger than average but not nothing which should be causing the issues I seem to be having.

Are there remote diagnostics that can be ran or log files that can be analysed? or do I just have a very flaky router?
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi there mikeparkie,

Thanks for getting back to me.

In regards to this issue, I have sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some additional information.

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos