Menu
Highlighted
stelyth
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Router

Can anyone tell me is the Hub 3.0 router better than the Super Hub 2. I currently have the latter (for a good few years) but lately having issues with connecting and signal strength.

Cheers

0 Kudos
vircom
Well-informed
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Router

I believe the wifi is about the same on both. The Hub3 can use more channels so sometimes helps a bit in overutilised areas but does suffer from a known latency problem caused by the Intel Puma 6 chipset, which can affect on line gaming. I will stick with my Hub2, hopefully until the Hub4 becomes available one day. If you want improved wifi and/or extra facilities, you would be better putting the Hub into modem mode and buying a better router, which one would depend on your requirements and budget.
stelyth
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Cheers for that, I have found with the Hub2 the signal strength is quite poor in my house (all brick internal walls) and no signal at all in the loft. So I would be looking to improve that, any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

hiya @stelyth i would be looking at using a 3rd party router and sticking with the hub 2 until the firmware patch has been released, you could look at something like the asus rt68AC series, not a cheap router but the coverage is so much better than any hub on the market, and has every advanced feature could ever want.. it depends on how much distance,walls are in the way from device to device.. aka router to laptop/desktop etc..
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
vircom
Well-informed
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Your other option is Powerline adapters to provide a wifi access point. Several makes and models are available depending on your requirements, best to check reviews. If necessary you can provide more than one access point. Paultechy's suggestion of a better router is the more elegant solution provided the improved signal reaches everywhere required.

Perhaps someone else can confirm or correct me, but I read somewhere that some providers do not support modem mode. If you changed providers in future that could make your new router redundant, whereas Powerlines would work with any hub.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

hiya @vircom some ISP routers dont show their username/password to connect to their network, but way around that (which not going to go into), since could use a 3rd party router enable access point mode so work in conjunction with the ISP router.
The business router from virginmedia the HITRON CGNV4 doesn't have a modem mode feature
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution