Menu
LolLol93
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Router question

Having a problem where my brother refuses to use a ethernet cable and im too far away to use one. Does my router have to be plugged into the phone line? As i want to move my router into my room upstairs so i can run of a wire instead of wireless
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Router question

Virgin routers arent fed via phone lines. They use Virgins cable TV infrastructure. Moving the router to another location will cost you £99 as it requires an engineer visit to change the cabling & adjust the signal levels. Far better to leave it where it is & use Powerline connectors.

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/powerline/powerline-setup.html

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Click4
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Router question

As mentioned, Virgin Media do not use the telephone line for their broadband modems, only services utilising BT lines use a phone line for modem.

Virgin Media cable modem connection is via Coax from the omni box mounted outside via an isolator mounted to the wall.

Please do not be tempted to move it yourself, any alterations arent authorised by Virgin Media as it requires use of approved cable, approved connectors to ensure that signal noise is not introduced which may effect the services of other customers. Many do move themselves but not recommended or authorised for reasons forementioned.

VM do charge however to move devices where cable alterations are required. Around £95-99, this can be arranged by calling 150 and speaking to customer services.

Maybe a better solution would be to purchase some powerline units, connect 1 unit near to the broadband modem... run a cat5e cable from one of the ports on your broadband modem to the powerline device.

Then install a 2nd power line device in the room where you require the broadband modem, and connect to computer with a cat5e cable.

Virgin Media sell these devices, and provide more information here.

What is Powerline?

Can be purchased here, £35 + £7 postage

Extend your network - Powerline

0 Kudos