Menu
cjj1977
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Router (SuperHub) unexpectedly reset to factory settings

My router reset itself unexpectedly this evening. Luckily I have non-WiFi access to the router so was able to connect to it and saw it was prompting for the factory-default login details and eventually I got myself back online.

I have scanned this forum and see that other have had the same issue going back a couple of years at least. At this point I have only had the problem once, but it seems that for some it happens more frequently. Nevertheless I am concerned:

1. My device was reset to factory defaults, resetting my custom admin password. Even with (what I hope to be) a randomly-generated WPS PIN on each router I believe that my security was weaker with default settings.
  2. UPnP and WPS are enabled by default. I understand why it ships like that but that's a further potential exposure of my home network.
  3. I don't know how or why this happened. Network and firewall logs (simplistic as they are) were wiped clean. Is there some new malware out there that can own/nuke my router?
  4. Custom settings (e.g. "Safe" DNS servers, DHCP reservations, port-forwarding, etc.) have been lost and are a pain to implement again. I have lost a good chunk of my evening.
  5. Family life often involves internet access; home working certainly does. Losing WiFi is very inconvenient.

I'm not writing this simply to vent. I can live with the router occasionally crashing but not a factory reset. I'd like for this never to happen again but I'm doubtful. If anyone has any advice on how to minimize the impact of these events I'd love to hear!

In addition, I did notice that the firewall log was reporting that it has spotted a number of "TCP- or UDP-based port scans" from 194.168.4.100. According to RIPE this is a device from the Virgin Media Network Management Centre.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Router (SuperHub) unexpectedly reset to factory settings

Router mode can have many reason that are unclear to best not cause this would be to use modem mode and your own router that would be more reliable.

194.168.4.100 is VM DNS

DJDJ
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You can always make a backup of the settings of the router onto one of your machines. Then if it does rest to defaults, you can reload that configuration quickly.

All Replies
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Router mode can have many reason that are unclear to best not cause this would be to use modem mode and your own router that would be more reliable.

194.168.4.100 is VM DNS

cjj1977
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks both for the advice and the clarification on that IP address. I have been umming and ahhing about modem mode for a little while now. I'll put something on the wish list.
0 Kudos
DJDJ
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You can always make a backup of the settings of the router onto one of your machines. Then if it does rest to defaults, you can reload that configuration quickly.

lesblain
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Did you ever find an answer to these crashes?. I have had the exact same problem several times and it is really annoying because all my port forwading is lost. The last time I rang VM support they put a remote monitor on my router and suprisingly the crashes stopped but now (about a month later) they have started again. It always seems to happen in the evening. I'm wondering if they are trying to do a firmware update on the wrong version of the router as mine is quite old.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

This can happen due to firmware updates, though these come around very occasionally so it should be a rare occurrence at best.

If this continues please drop us an update back here (from your home connection) and we'll run a few diagnostic checks on your service.

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos