Menu
Tanaka-san
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Roll of unconnected cable in my front garden

I hope you guys can help me here.

I am trying to determine what this cable is in my front garden. (Photos at bottom of the post)

We just switched to VM Fibre and the engineer came around on Saturday to connect everything but this cable has been in our front garden since either Wednesday or Thursday. Upon close inspection, cable seem to go into the ground where VM Box access box is but the other end of the cable is not attached to anything.

Is there a customer service email address I can send this to as when I called them yesterday I was told if there is no fault with the service they will charge £90 for engineer to come out and that's not really on if this is their error.

Any advice on this matter will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sorry, the photos were too large so I could not upload it here but here's the Imgur link for it.

http://imgur.com/a/hjMJI

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Roll of unconnected cable in my front garden

Looks like they have pulled an extra cable through for you but its not needed

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I know this sounds really silly but are you sure you are connected to Virgin Media at the moment.  That roll of unconnected cable bares all the hallmarks of a new cable pull from the local VM street cabinet, coiled up, and awaiting a VM installer to run it through your wall and connect you up.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Tanaka-san
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The engineer has already been here on Saturday so it has been connected. I even followed the cable from the router to outside the house and it connects to next door's VM box???

Do they do this? Let's say for example next door neighbour already has VM fibre and it's already connected. Connecting to theirs is closer to our living room than the one coming from our front garden. I'll take more pics tomorrow during the day so you can see where our cable from the router goes.

0 Kudos
Tanaka-san
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply.

It does seem like extra cable which is not needed but I just want to make sure before I get back in touch with them.

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Tanaka-san wrote:

The engineer has already been here on Saturday so it has been connected. I even followed the cable from the router to outside the house and it connects to next door's VM box???

Do they do this? Let's say for example next door neighbour already has VM fibre and it's already connected. Connecting to theirs is closer to our living room than the one coming from our front garden. I'll take more pics tomorrow during the day so you can see where our cable from the router goes.

This sounds like a serious mistake (or a lazy shortcut) by the installer.  You should not be sharing your neighbour's connection when you have your own cable waiting to be installed.  I hope a member of the Forum Team will be along soon to take this up.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Tanaka-san wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

It does seem like extra cable which is not needed but I just want to make sure before I get back in touch with them.

Think you might find that the one from yours to next door is a temporary feed, to get you up and running, and the 'roll' of cable is for the engineers to connect you to permanently.

Have seen this done before, as temporary to start off with. possible that the other end of the roll needs wiring into cabinet first??

Best to check before doing anything...

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I would ring in and report it. Ive never heard of a charge when its so obviously something VM should be attending to.

And yes it SOUNDS like they have gone to run the cable up the garden, found some sort of issue and done a temporary connection to next doors box.

0 Kudos
spell
Well-informed
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Which they are not allowed to do by law without written consent from your neighbour.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

spell wrote:

Which they are not allowed to do by law without written consent from your neighbour.

Virgin owns the Cables and can do what they like with them. Its also covered in the ToS.

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
0 Kudos