Menu
matyb2k
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Replacement Hub

Hello,

Firstly sorry if this has be asked else where, I was unable to find it!

I'm in a scenario at home where I require both 2.4 and 5 GHZ. The Netgear router I have will only support one or the other. I noticed that there is a NEW Hub 3 out and I see that it does both simultaneously. I contacted the online chat but was told it will not work with my SuperFibre70, and that I would need to upgrade this to 200Mbs, Do you know if this is the case?

I was also looking to upgrade but Tivo box, but I would assume that this would require a quicker connection!

Thanks In advance

Mat

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Replacement Hub

matyb2k wrote:

I'm in a scenario at home where I require both 2.4 and 5 GHZ. The Netgear router I have will only support one or the other. I noticed that there is a NEW Hub 3 out and I see that it does both simultaneously. I contacted the online chat but was told it will not work with my SuperFibre70, and that I would need to upgrade this to 200Mbs, Do you know if this is the case?

I was also looking to upgrade but Tivo box, but I would assume that this would require a quicker connection!

You apparently have the original first gen SH1/VMDG480 SuperHub circa ~2010 . which unfortunately is not a concurrent(aka simultaneous) Dual Band Router and (other than in ModemMode) was notorious for "resource/latency" issues etc..... Smiley Sad

The latest SH3(aka Hub 3)/VMDG505 (like its 2 other SH2/SH2AC predecessors) is concurrent dual band will technically work with SF70(has been tested by some on that Tier and lower since late 2015) but VM Marketing/Sales strategy means they will reserve the Hub 3 for their premium Tier bundles/BB services.

Level1 TS/Call Centre agents have little flexibility to deviate(or over-ride) the Marketing/Billing systems so short answer is when a loyal legacy customer such as your good self finds themselves in a "back watered technical cul-de-sac" with somewhat antique CPE equipment then it's worth having a polite (yet assertive) conversation with UK Retentions(aka Thinking of Leaving Us) and often a productive outcome is the result w/o neccessarily selling your soul to the devil with increased bundle/18month contract that you might not otherwise be considering?

Since SH1 is EOL, refurb programme ceased over a year ago and local area inventory is probably surpassed by either SH2 (or SH2AC) then even if Retentions require nominal £5 p&p fee then you will find either of SH2(but SH2AC/VMDG490 is debatably the best) has less "anomalies" than current SH3/firmware version which (depending on your own usuage profile) you may find a tad dissappointing perhaps? 

If you're exploring a Tivo V6 upgrade then you have a far better "bargaining" status but again Retentions can offer far more than normal CS Agent so don't accept the first offers,,,,,,,  However you will need minimum Vivid100 tier for V6 Tivo(to ensure you are likely to get at least 25mbps streaming rate). 

Good luck - if you have time please let us know the outcome......  

EDIT Overtaken by Shelkes worthy advice but to clarify the older Tivo Cisco/Samsung STB's had embedded CM's but later V6/Arris Tivo STB require a Ethernet(preferred) or WiFi link to any of the existing SuperHub versions.

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

matyb2k wrote:

Totally untrue, it will work with any of the speed tiers VM have. I have 70Mb and a hub 3.0.

There was an old policy where hub 3.0 upgrades were only being given to people on 200Mb or were willing to move to 200Mb. It was never a case it wouldn't work on the lower speeds, VM just out right refused to issue the hub to people on lower speed tiers for reasons unknown.

However, as it stands, that old policy is long gone and the only hub VM support is the hub 3.0 (all prior hubs are discontinued.)

TL;DR; contact support again and insist they give you a new hub. Expect a £14.99 activation fee. Or try using this page to see if you're eligible for a free upgrade to a hub 3.0, link: https://keepup.virginmedia.com/hubupgrade

A TiVo box doesn't use your hub's internet connection, it has a built in 10Mb modem of it's own and doesn't require any interaction at all with your hub 

As with the hub, you can also check if you're eligible for a free upgrade to a TiVo, link: https://keepup.virginmedia.com/boxswap

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

matyb2k wrote:

You apparently have the original first gen SH1/VMDG480 SuperHub circa ~2010 . which unfortunately is not a concurrent(aka simultaneous) Dual Band Router and (other than in ModemMode) was notorious for "resource/latency" issues etc..... Smiley Sad

The latest SH3(aka Hub 3)/VMDG505 (like its 2 other SH2/SH2AC predecessors) is concurrent dual band will technically work with SF70(has been tested by some on that Tier and lower since late 2015) but VM Marketing/Sales strategy means they will reserve the Hub 3 for their premium Tier bundles/BB services.

Level1 TS/Call Centre agents have little flexibility to deviate(or over-ride) the Marketing/Billing systems so short answer is when a loyal legacy customer such as your good self finds themselves in a "back watered technical cul-de-sac" with somewhat antique CPE equipment then it's worth having a polite (yet assertive) conversation with UK Retentions(aka Thinking of Leaving Us) and often a productive outcome is the result w/o neccessarily selling your soul to the devil with increased bundle/18month contract that you might not otherwise be considering?

Since SH1 is EOL, refurb programme ceased over a year ago and local area inventory is probably surpassed by either SH2 (or SH2AC) then even if Retentions require nominal £5 p&p fee then you will find either of SH2(but SH2AC/VMDG490 is debatably the best) has less "anomalies" than current SH3/firmware version which (depending on your own usuage profile) you may find a tad dissappointing perhaps? 

If you're exploring a Tivo V6 upgrade then you have a far better "bargaining" status but again Retentions can offer far more than normal CS Agent so don't accept the first offers,,,,,,,  However you will need minimum Vivid100 tier for V6 Tivo(to ensure you are likely to get at least 25mbps streaming rate). 

Good luck - if you have time please let us know the outcome......  

EDIT Overtaken by Shelkes worthy advice but to clarify the older Tivo Cisco/Samsung STB's had embedded CM's but later V6/Arris Tivo STB require a Ethernet(preferred) or WiFi link to any of the existing SuperHub versions.

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
matyb2k
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks guys for your quick replies

I called VM retentions when I got home and spoke to a really helpful chap. He said the Hub 3 will work with my current broadband connection fine, I'm guessing the online chat representative was after some commission.

So I have a Hub 3 on it way to me now! Also an upgrade from 70 to 100mbps. And he jiggled the price a bit for me to. The TiVo v6 needs a 100mbps connection to get the best from it hence the upgrade. If I decide to, I just need to know pay £100 odd for the new box if I want that upgraded. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi matyb2k,

Thanks for posting.

Great to see our Superusers have helped you out with this! Pop back to the Community if you need anything else.

All the best! Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos