Menu
MJkpio
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Remote set up for Sonos Playbar + Samsung TV + Virgin Media??

Hi, I have a Samsung TV, a new SONOS Playbar and a Virgin Media TiVo (from Oct'16).

I have managed to programme my Virgin Media remote to control the Samsung TV power & volume. I've even managed to prevent the annoying "external speaker" pop up message!

I've connected the new Playbar via Optical into the TV, but I cannot (via the SONOS app settings) get the Virgin Media remote to control the Playbar volume for the TV. (so far having to use the app) I HAVE connected the Samsung IR receiver to the TV, but it still does not want to control the Playbar volume.

I believe the Virgin remote can only store 1 code at a time - does that mean I can only EITHER control the Samsung TV power/volume OR the Playbar volume with that remote, not both?

Any and all advice or questions welcome! Thank you

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Remote set up for Sonos Playbar + Samsung TV + Virgin Media??

Hello MJkpio,

Yes the remote uses only one code to pair up with your television so unfortunately any incompatibility issues with other devices are out of our control.

Please do let us know however if you were able to get this working.

Kind regards

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
MJkpio
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Well, over the last two weeks since this post I have had a Virgin engineer come out to replace the TiVo box (which was faulty) and he confirmed that the Virgin remote can ONLY STORE ONE CODE at a time. This means that if you want to use it to control your SONOS, TV AND Virgin box... well you can't. Shame but just have to live with it. 

0 Kudos
fizzyade
Dialled in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'm confused.

I have our Sony TV connected to our Playbar via optical, the playbar is configured to pick up the Sony tv volume controls.

You then use the TiVo remote to control the volume on the playbar from whatever source is feeding the playbar.

Why do you need 2 different volume controls?

Edit:

I just did a search, seems your remote control uses RF not ir, which explains why there's an external IR transmitter.

Should still work, have you tried these instructions?

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2424/~/configure-sonos-playbar-with-samsung-f-ser...
0 Kudos
MJkpio
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If you want the TiVo remote to turn your Samsung TV on/off, that is one code.

If you want the TiVo remote to control your SONOS volume, that is another code.

One or the other unfortunately. Though now I pretty much use the Samsung remote for on/off & volume, and the TiVo for TV channels. 

0 Kudos
fizzyade
Dialled in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Weird, I can turn our TV on and off via the TiVo remote and the volume controls on the TiVo remote control the playbar volume.

All I did was set the playbar to Sony IR codes.
0 Kudos