Menu
walshe121
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re-pull at Night?

We were supposed to have our Virgin Installed on the 30th Dec 2016, however one day before we were informed it had been put on hold "as we trying to fix the issues which is preventing us to connect the services and we will be in touch with an update"

I received no update and so rung up the pre install team who told me that they needed to do work on the cabinet at night to do a re-pull.

having already spent well over a month with no internet as a result of BT's incompetence, and having to wait two weeks for the planned virgin install, I've spoken to just about everybody in the internet business, and this sounds a bit dubious to me. I've never heard of work having to be done at night, and im pretty sure ive never seen any engineers working on cabinets at night so I just wanted confirmation of

A) If this is correct that they have to work at night
B) If so when will the works be undertaken.

As I'm sure can be understood, internet is pretty essential this day in age and I did do a lot of working from home before this was an issue.

0 Kudos
HavencroftKev
Up to speed
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Re-pull at Night?

Hmmm sounds a little dubious to me, I can't imagine an engineer working on a outside cabinet at night.

The only thing I can think of is that the work they intend to carry out will disrupt a lot of peoples internet connections, so they are planning on doing the work at night to keep disruption to a minimum?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I don't think it's unheard of for a repull to be done at night, although it depends on where you are.

For instance if you were living on a Red Route in London then Virgin Media would be restricted on when they can access their manholes and other access covers.

Same could apply elsewhere where the access is problematic during the day.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
HavencroftKev
Up to speed
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Absolutely, access is probably the reason to be fair.

0 Kudos
walshe121
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Well I do live on a main road, but I couldn't see why they would need to do it to avoid disturbance, as im pretty sure the connections are in the pavement.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Just because some are, doesn't mean that's where your cable goes.

The cabinet you connect to could be on the other side of the road to where you are, meaning VM may have to lift a cover in the road itself.

That's not to say that Virgin Media shouldn't be giving you appropriate updates, but it may explain why it's not an easy thing to do.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
walshe121
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The thing that made me concerned in the first place when I heard the dreaded 4-6weeks (before I was even told about the night time work which had to be another phone call) was the fact that everyone I can see that has VM is on the opposite side of the road, and the typical tarmac cut out where you can tell cables have been laid is also on the pavement on the other side of the road, and it then appears to travel under the road before appearing outside my property as seen below. I don't mind the wait as long as I'm not still sat here in another 2months without internet and a phone. and/or then told it isn't possible to install at all. (which is what happened at my previous property as a result of some properties on the postcode having VM available and some not having it available.VM pavement connections.PNG

0 Kudos