Menu
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Power Levels Creeping Up

I've noticed that over the past few days my downstream power levels have been slowly creeping up when I would expect the warmer weather to make them reduce if anything as the cable expands.

Previously all channels were in the low 8s but as you can see, most are now in the 9s with two channels having exceeded the 10 barrier which is a bit worrying.  SNR is fine and upstream power levels are ok at 40 & 43.  I've tried rebooting the hub several times but it still comes back with the same levels.

It doesn't seem to be affecting performance so far though.  Speedtest still gives me my full 74mbps down and 5.2mbps up at any time of the day and my BQM is a thing of beauty too with low latency and zero dropped packets most of the time.

I suppose as long as it keeps working I shouldn't really worry but I am intrigued to know just what causes the levels to rise in this way.

Downstream 170317.jpg

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
vircom
Well-informed
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Power Levels Creeping Up

I don't know much about the VM network, but could there be some form of AGC that has pushed up levels?

A bit off topic, but my levels have a slope across the channels of 3-4dB and it is very obvious that the channels with a level near 5dB have hardly any error but those around 8dB have 100 to 1000 times more. Fortunately FEC deals with them. You might want to try a 3 or 6dB attenuator if you have one handy.
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

vircom wrote:
I don't know much about the VM network, but could there be some form of AGC that has pushed up levels?

A bit off topic, but my levels have a slope across the channels of 3-4dB and it is very obvious that the channels with a level near 5dB have hardly any error but those around 8dB have 100 to 1000 times more. Fortunately FEC deals with them. You might want to try a 3 or 6dB attenuator if you have one handy.

Yes I think an attenuator is the logical solution.  I don't know what specification of attenuator VM use though ... I wonder if anyone knows the spec and whether it can be sourced privately as I don't really want to bother a VM engineer for such a trivial matter.

Electron
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Could be a distribution amp on the network starting to pack up.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

nodrogd wrote:

Sounds logical Gordon and will be affecting quite a few users on the street cabinet's higher tapping points I would imagine.   Better order a few dozen attenuators    Smiley Frustrated

Electron
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I would be grateful if a member of the Forum Team could arrange to send me a 6db forward path attenuator please ... pretty please.

Electron
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Dave_cq wrote:

nodrogd wrote:

Sounds logical Gordon and will be affecting quite a few users on the street cabinet's higher tapping points I would imagine.   Better order a few dozen attenuators    Smiley Frustrated

If they do pack up its usually pretty quickly. Don't be surprised if you service goes down shortly.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

nodrogd wrote:

Dave_cq wrote:

nodrogd wrote:

If they do pack up its usually pretty quickly. Don't be surprised if you service goes down shortly.

... and it was all going so well.    Smiley LOL

Electron
0 Kudos
pyrotenax
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Dave_cq wrote:

I would be grateful if a member of the Forum Team could arrange to send me a 6db forward path attenuator please ... pretty please.

I have a varied selection ..... send me your details and I will pop in post

Running ASUS RT-AC88U with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

pyrotenax wrote:

Dave_cq wrote:

I have a varied selection ..... send me your details and I will pop in post

That's really kind of you.  Have sent you a PM.  Cheers.

Electron
0 Kudos