Menu
ßodincus
Dialled in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Poor signal after resegmentation

Hi guys,

Perth - PH1 2DD

I am aware there's been some resegmentation work carried out in my area, and apparently I've been put on the wrong tap.

Signal to the modem is really poor:

modem.png

It was in the correct operational parameters before (close to 0dB and RxMER > 32).

I have no attenuators to remove, so can't help myself.

The main cable in the house goes to a 5 way active splitter, with one tap to a TiVo close by, one to a VBox further away, and one going upstairs to a passive splitter that goes to the modem close by and a VBox further away.

The modem is working very hard to correct the errors, so latency is twice the usual: 25ms average against what used to be 12 to BBC, between 8 and 10 to the gateway with periods at 100 and spikes close to 500.

--- 82.15.208.1 ping statistics --- 
180 packets transmitted, 180 received, 0% packet loss, time 179245ms 
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 7.645/42.648/492.760/83.541 ms

There is no packet loss so far, and speeds are on target, but I believe we're sailing too close to the wind.

Remember I'm on the SpeedTest panel, any drop affects your stats Cat Wink.

Cheers

Bodincus - The Y2K Druid
Law 42 on computing: Anything that could fail, will break at the worst possible mom%*= ?@@ # Access Violation - Core dumped
# Kernel Panic
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor signal after resegmentation

Hi ßodincus,

Thanks for posting!

Really sorry to hear you're having trouble with your connection.

I've run diagnostics on your hub and I can see an issue with your Modem SNR levels. I'd like to get a technician to investigate this for you.

I've send you a private message (purple envelope at the top right of your screen) so I can arrange an appointment.

Speak soon Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Just as an aside - removing attenuators wouldn't fix the SNR anyway even if you did have any to remove.

It's a surprise there's no packet loss there Smiley Sad

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
ßodincus
Dialled in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I know, but that's the last recourse left after everything else has been attempted...

I didn't post the upstream stats: the poor modem was pushing close to +52dBm.

Wrong tap.

Someone noticed because yesterday afternoon - after a signal drop - the situation went back to normal.

And yep, the modem was really working hard to keep the thing going... maybe the fact I'm using it only as DOCSIS modem, bypassing all routing features, left enough CPU capacity to deal with the workload.

Bodincus - The Y2K Druid
Law 42 on computing: Anything that could fail, will break at the worst possible mom%*= ?@@ # Access Violation - Core dumped
# Kernel Panic
0 Kudos