I agreed to switch to Virgin from BT a few weeks ago and a date was set for a pre-inspection and the installation. The chap who came on the pre-inspection was vague and mumbled about it possibly being a few days delay if they needed permission to dig the cable, "but the install team would sort everything out on the day".
My installation day is tomorrow. At 19:47 I receive a text and email that Virgin Media need to speak to me about my installation, and a number to call them back on. I then spend 40 minuted in a queue before I gave up and called a different number to Virgin. I get a call centre person clearly not in UK, and who can tell me that they need to get permission from my council before digging. When asked about what happens in the interim, given that I am due to stop BT the following day, I am asked to contact them myself to try to extend the contract with them!! So Virgin can instruct BT to cancel me but they can't instruct them to delay it! The installation team helpline closed at 8, 13 minutes after my text to call them, during which time I sat on hold for 40 minutes for no reason.
I ring BT who are unsure if they are able to stop the switchover at this late hour, so I am potentially without internet for anything up to 8 weeks, or longer if the other posts on this forum is anything to go by.
What kind of reputable company pre-inspects a week before and then tells the customer the night before when nobody can help pause the switch? What was the point of the pre-inspection if it couldn't be honest at that point?
I will be seeking full compensation of additional costs if I lose my broadband connection in the meantime, and frankly I can suck up staying with BT if this is the kind of customer service VM offers their customers..
I appreciate that your start with us has hardly been ideal and my apologies for the delays in getting you connected.
I appreciate that these delays do impact our customers but they are necessary for us to complete the repair works that we have identified during the pre-call in order for us to provide services for you. My sincere apologies that the pre call teams were unable to update you at the time and that you did not receive the call from our Pre Install Support teams to advise about this until so late in the day.
The work that is needed requires permits from the local authority and permits from any utility companies who have cables where we are planning to work or dig to clear the blockages that were preventing us installing you on the original date we had planned.
I can see since you posted you have called in to speak to us too and we have tried calling back since you last spoke but missed you and it went to voicemail in order to discuss this as requested.
My colleagues have mailed the teams that were trying to get in touch with you yesterday in order for them to try again if they can when they are free. I have also updated the notes on your account to say you have posted on here too.
Aside from this option you can also contact construction directly to discuss the work that is needed
To keep up to date with this with our Construction teams you can contact them directly via 0345 045 0595 and their opening hours are Mon-Sat 8:30am-7pm.
I do you not question that the necessary works need to be carried out and would have been happy to wait if adequate notice was given. But I am questioning why anyone thinks it is acceptable to inform the customer after it is too late to extend their current broadband services.
The team I spoke to on Tuesday agreed to call me back on Wednesday after 4, however failed to do so. The call they made on Thursday came during work time, which I explained to them I was unable to answer.
I have had to purchase a mobile broadband solution for the interim, and I await their response to discuss this extra expense.
This situation was completely avoidable had adequate time been allowed between your pre-inspection visit and installation date. Virgin needs to take responsibility for such poor planning and not expect customers to just accept that such works need to take place without a fair opportunity to make the right choice for them if there is going to be a delay.
So, I was eventually connected 3 weeks ago and after many calls with VM to update me up to that time I was advised that VM will agree to cover costs and I will be receiving a cheque to reimburse my expenses for a mobile broadband solution. I was also offered a wireless speaker to sweeten it all. To date I have received neither. I declined to have this credited to my VM account at the time because 1) I wasn't even sure I'd want to go with VM after all the hassle and 2) I had already had to spend £100 of my money to buy a solution for VMs error.
VM, this is not how you keep customers loyal. We have better things to do than to chase stuff like this. It is not OK to assume customers just accept and absorb poor planning.