Menu
ianfromnotts
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Pages Hanging - Download Power High ?

I am experiencing periods when pages hang for a long time before opening, I say a long time its probably only a second or two but feels like an age at times.  Seems to be worst during what I guess to be network peak use periods, eg before breakfast, daytime, evenings. 

I am wondering if my downstream power DBmV is on the high side and could be contributing to the problem.

12.1     11.6    11.2   11.1    10.8    12.0   11.6     11.2
43.2    43.2    43.2   43.2    42.9    43.0   42.5     42.5

any thoughts

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Pages Hanging - Download Power High ?

Don't know if it's contributing to the problem but they are too high, 10 is the recommended maximum.

Dave.

0 Kudos
ianfromnotts
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks, I will phone tech support in the morning
0 Kudos
ianfromnotts
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I changed the DNS servers so they pointed to google and that seemed to improve matters but the problem has never gone away.  Yesterday and today it has been really bad so I finally got through to someone.  I explained that my download power levels were all above 10db and when I have had problems in the past this has been the cause.  Actual power levels are between +10.7 and +12.1.   

The response was along the lines of there is a technical fault which we are aware of and working on but we don't know when it will be fixed, when pressed on when it will be fixed not long maybe a few weeks. !!

I was expecting better !

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for updating the thread ianfromnotts,

How has your connection performance been since posting?

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

ianfromnotts wrote:

I changed the DNS servers so they pointed to google and that seemed to improve matters but the problem has never gone away.  Yesterday and today it has been really bad so I finally got through to someone.  

I explained that my download power levels were all above 10db and when I have had problems in the past this has been the cause.  Actual power levels are between +10.7 and +12.1.   

One of these should sort that: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Technetix-6dB-forward-path-attenuator-/232224292210?hash=item3611a57d72:g:...

The response was along the lines of there is a technical fault which we are aware of and working on but we don't know when it will be fixed, when pressed on when it will be fixed not long maybe a few weeks. !!

Area fault, probably. So you won't be able to get a tech out until it's fixed.

0 Kudos
ianfromnotts
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

performance has been variable, its better in the middle or the day or middle of the night but still far from ideal.  I woke up today to find no internet what so ever, rebooted the modem but its been awful all day.  Ebay is especially bad.  16 T3 errors, 2 T4 errors, download power still too high.  Surfing on my girflriend's 4mb connection is less painful than this.   Think its time to investigate mobile intenet

0 Kudos
ianfromnotts
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

3-4 months on and I finally managed to get an engineer booked, he seemed shocked, his meter showed even higher download power than the router did 17.5 on one feed.   Changed to a lower power feed in the cabinet and removed the attentuator on the router feed - I am showing about 4 now and all seems to be working properly.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for updating the thread ianfromnotts,

Great to hear that this has finally been sorted for you! Sorry it took so long. :/

Let me know if I can assist further,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos