Menu
ianjayne
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Outage

Annoys me when suddenly (noticed at 0900) wifi goes down and on calling 150 am told this is a planned operation to improve services and it should be back at 1500 hours.
I had this recently with my bank who took their server down without prior notice for one whole weekend for 'planned maintenance'. I complained and they now post a message at least 48 hours in advance.
I accept unplanned and unexpected issues can arise BUT NOT PLANNED ONES.
VM you can do better!!
0 Kudos
ianjayne
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Outage

I last posted on this issue a year last August. Nothing has improved. The silence is deafing!

I rather think should I suddenly cut off my direct debit payments a quicker response would be the result!!!!

VM you need to get up to speed.

On this last issue the service was resumed around 1225 hours according to my information. But that did not include me having to later reboot and re-connect my NEST home heating and CCTV devices!!

THINK VM!! (IF YOU ARE ABLE)

0 Kudos
ianjayne
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Is anyone listening here VM?  I was told last year 'more effort' would be made to notify customers.  I don't want nor do I need a letter just a banner would be a great help.  I have to plan in advance so should you.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hey ianjayne,

Thanks for getting in touch, hope you're well Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear about the on-going problems you're experiencing.

I've taken a look at your connection but I don't think the reports are populating correctly. I'd like to check a few things with you. I'll drop you a PM (purple envelope, top right) so we can keep in touch.

Speak soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
ianjayne
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Anyone

The latest wifi outage(s) which occurred over this weekend caused myself and my family a great deal of inconvenience.

To explain we have NEST outdoor CCTV cameras and also our heating is controlled by same.

We came away from home to the southern counties last Thursday 20th inst. My next app went 'offline' sometime around around Friday 21st.  Our return home is scheduled for Tuesday 23 rd inst.

I looked at the service page and saw issues were present on Saturday but according to the status page only for new router installations but clearly we had a problem. I had a neighbour who looks after our house check the power supply to the ground floor where the router and NEST controls are.  I called him he confirmed our power was on and the heating was fine.  He is not IT savvy but said the router was showing the normal lights on the front as I guided him. I waited for that to be resolved which it was by around 1400 hours.  The report did say equipmentt would or may need to be re-started, clearly being some 230 miles away that was not an option for me.

I therefore had to contact my grandson who lives about 14 miles away and asked him to go to our home and reboot the router.  He did this around 1600 hours and brought all CCTV cameras and heating controls back to the app.

My question is, clearly if when a VM Superhub 2  router goes down and needs re-booting that cannot as far as I am aware be done remotely and you say you need someone in the house if you have to reboot from your end - what does one do when a Superhub 2 needs re-booting after an outage which clearly was the case here?

My next question is what can VM do about this? Do you have or more to the point do the later routers re-boot remotely without having to be powered down and back up again.

I am not aware of any other ISP's whose routers are as so falible and problematic. 

Your suggestions please?

N.B.

In the absence of any resolution by VM to this I most likely will have to move to another ISP to alleviate this ever happening again.

0 Kudos
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I understand your pain, given your somewhat unique setup (although to be honest becoming more common place), I would suggest you run your own router, and leave the hub in modem mode, doing so would get past the bugs in the hubs router mode, and simply when the hub powers back up the router would just simply take back over, my hub does this occasionally, yet my faithful router just waits for the WAN connection and connects as soon as it can, don't see any issues that require a reset. Merely an observation my friend Smiley Happy

David
0 Kudos
ianjayne
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Ha ha just checked and its gone down again. With respect and I thank you for your valued comments, I fail to see why if I pay VM for a service they should not resolve it. If I get my own router should the service supply fail I am back to square one. They have to do better or its goodbye.
0 Kudos
ianjayne
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Just rechecked and it's back. A supply issue in my area or is the router 'dying'?
0 Kudos
ianjayne
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

VM. From the status page it seems no problems in area 14. However I still cannot communicate with my NEST products some of which operate on 2ghz (outdoor cameras) speaking to a local rep in a shop of yours he suggests I ask you to replace the SH2 with a like model. (NB I must have 2 ghz as the latest routers such as SH3 I am told only operate on 5ghz. He says as I have had my SH2 since around 2008 it is finished and time expired. Can someone respond pls?
0 Kudos
ianjayne
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Just an update on this issue.  The new SH3 router arrived last weekend together with a wall adapter.(The SH3 does appear to operate on dual frequencies 24 Ghz and 5 Ghz)

Neither installed yet as the connection is better than it has been.  Talking to my neighbour who is on Vivid 200 he says he too experienced repeated and continual drop outs requiring a reboot each time the week before last like myself in area area 14.  As he says it's all well and good having a fast connection but there does need to be a reliable supply in the first place.

0 Kudos