Menu
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 31 (248 Views)

Outage time definition please (Broadband )

To whom can can help,

What is the definition of an "Outage Time" for Broadband?

1. As far as VM are concerned to customers.

2. As far as VM supply information to Ofcom for monitoring

Reason for question

Lost connection at 01:30 today - waited 2 hrs (rebooted everything over and over again) patient soul that I am.

Service returned 10:00. 8 1/2 hrs later. 

Logged into VM to check network status. Account suspended call *********4444 So I did

Spoke to techy dept for 44mins (Not a VM mobile + cost) Informed that there had been a problem reported at 08:30 

I informed him that it had started (Stooped) at 01:30. He did some checking and said that he could see that it started at 01:35 and that it "may" continue until Monday, citing "electrical interference on the line".

When I pushed Techy about the accuracy of information "Ticket was raised at 08:30".

So, to return to the original questions. Would I be correct in the following?

OUTAGE TIME

1. As far as VM are concerned to customers.:Back up and running in an hour and a half. Go away and stop bothering us. (08:30 to 10:00)

2. As far as VM supply information to Ofcom for monitoring. Back up and running in an hour and a half. Hit your target there then. (08:30 to 10:00)

Reality = 8.5 hours outage (might continue till Monday)

Thoughts and comments please......

On our wavelength
Message 2 of 31 (225 Views)

Re: Outage time definition please (Broadband )

Why was this post moved to the most obscure section of the Community? If you read it and understand it then I would suggest that it is clearly a technical question.
This forum is so vague, using the word "connections", that applies to everything VM does.
Lets be to the point.
Does a fault exist when it happens eg a Server blows at 02:00 or at 11:00 when you get a call from a customer who has no service?
Response and comments welcomed
ggildas
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 31 (203 Views)

Silence
Bump politely
Just spent 1 1/2 hours talking to you lot.
Result = Question 1
0 Kudos
Well-informed
Message 4 of 31 (202 Views)

[ Edited ]
I think Virgin Media count loss of service in days not hours. There is no Service Level Agreement for residential lines, for that you would need the a business connection. Have you done a search of the T&C etc.

I do not think it would be cost effective for a supplier to repair most faults in anything less than a few hours. Depending on the fault it could take a few days, eg if a road needs digging up etc. I think a small discount is given for complete days without service, but you have to phone and claim.

I don't know where you originally posted, but this is not an obscure part of the forum, it us the main area for broadband issues. The other appropriate place might have been in the Manage You Account section as you are asking about contract terms.
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 31 (195 Views)

Thanks for the response,

The thing is that I have had no response from VM here. I have also spent 2 hrs on my mobile talking to Tier 1, 2 and 3. Still awaiting call back from Tier 3 manager

There is a legal element to this in so much as reporting.

VM say 1.5 hrs and problem solved ( that is when you or I noticed and reported )

and 

VM and I know problem existed 7 hrs before.

If VM uses us as freebie mods and then uses that info to bolster their Ofcom rating, can of worms

0 Kudos
Well-informed
Message 6 of 31 (189 Views)

You are unlikely to get quick response from VM on this forum. It is primarily a community self help forum with some support from VM staff. They generally look at posts in order and take about a week to get to them. Bumping a thread tends to knock it back to the start so can delay the response. The only way to get "quick" answers from VM is via the phone and web chat, but you have already found out how useful that is.
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 31 (186 Views)

Agreed.
Starting to see the under-belly and not happy.
Wife is an NGO in Eastern Turkey/ Syria gone for last 2 weeks. Only time she can access Internet is Fri 6pm GMT. Because of VM nowt.
Phoned Foreign Offfice all they could say is "Last communication received said no NGO fatalities or injuries".
Tad angry
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 31 (185 Views)

VM need to know that they are messing about with peoples lives and emotions.,
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 9 of 31 (168 Views)

1. You have a noise fault, which is a common type of fault.

2. The noise fault could have started 3 weeks ago but only become serious enough now to put you offline.

3. Unless monitoring systems pick it up at their end then VM depend on customers reporting faults. They don't have active monitoring in the field, so downstream issues often have to be reported by the customer, which won't happen at 1:30am as the call centres are closed.

4. A fault reference number is raised once a fault has been identified and they count from that date towards credit to your bill (if you ask for it).

5. Noise issues have to be investigated by a network tech going into the field and identifying the cause. That takes time. Even if it was reported at 1:30am, network tech's work daytime hours so it wouldn't have got sorted any sooner. If it's not sorted until Monday then did the tech find the cause? Or is that just hedging their bets for monitoring purposes. Noise faults are intermittent and tricky to find the source sometimes.

6. Accounts are only suspended when you don't pay the bill, so are you sure some of that time isn't down to you? I've had plenty of noise faults over the years and it's never once affected my account or anyone else's on here.

7. There are no customer SLA's on residential broadband. So your question 1 doesn't make sense.

8. Question 2 about ofcom stats are not so detailed. You can read them on their site.

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 31 (162 Views)

Cheers for the Tech MUD,

Thanks for your time and application.

But the premise that "I Have a problem" does not hold H2O. VM has a problem that they are trying to palm off on to tech.

More background.

The same prob has been happening for 2 Years

I have had 2 x "Engineers" in my home. Who stated !It's a line issue" and "an intermittent fault is tricky".

I understand the Physics and practicality of your post, it still impinges and hurts. 

THE point is why aren't VM monitoring there own Server Stacks and services?

Why do we, consumers, involuntarily being service mods?

Then, because I still haven't  been phoned back I will draw conclusions, use service loss time as apposed to service down time.

0 Kudos