Menu
sazzer
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Opt out / disable advancedsearch2 functionality

I've tried asking on twitter and got directed to ask here, so I'm hoping this is the right place.

My home Virgin Media internet has a "feature" whereby if I try to visit a URL that is unknown to the Virgin Media network then instead I get directed to http://advancedsearch2.virginmedia.com/. Unfortunately this is broken functionality - the request actually returns an HTTP 200 OK instead of an HTTP 404 Not Found. The end result of this is that a number of important pieces of functionality end up not working correctly.

For myself personally, the big problem is in using my work laptop from home when I'm not connected to the work VPN. There are some internal websites that I use a lot, and as such I keep open all the time. If I have to restart my web browser when I'm at home then the request to load these sites for the first time will get redirected to the advancedsearch2 page silently instead of simply failing and staying on the correct URL.

Even worse than this though, if I attempt to do software builds (I'm a software engineer) from home then the attempt to download dependency artifacts will "successfully" download the advancedsearch2 HTML file instead failing to download the JAR file file from the internal repository, which causes complete chaos on my machine.

As such, I'm hoping that I can either opt out of the functionality, or be advised how it can be disabled.

Many thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Opt out / disable advancedsearch2 functionality

Try

This Link

But you need to be on your VM connection and signed in to use it.

It sometimes fails to switch it off. If it does come back and tell us, staff will change it on the back end for you.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Try

This Link

But you need to be on your VM connection and signed in to use it.

It sometimes fails to switch it off. If it does come back and tell us, staff will change it on the back end for you.

sazzer
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Huzzah. Thank you very much
0 Kudos
hellboundhades
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi, i am having the same sort of issue with this but the link provided doesn't work, just goes to an opps... page! as i have been trying to turn this off also as i don't like the way its set out and overrides my google chrome search engine settings.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi hellboundhades,

Sorry that you're having difficulty with this too. My colleague Nicola_C has escalated the broken link issue.

In the meantime I have made the necessary adjustment from here, so a reboot of your Hub should result in the ANES no longer being functional.

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Martynkenny
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Can you opt me out none of the links work
0 Kudos
Martynkenny