Menu
chippycc
Joining in
Message 1 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Now at my wits end- how long should I leave it until I quit VM??

Let me tell you of a tale of woe..

6 months ago, I connected my router from my old address to my new address- since then the speed has been shocking, and after trying to convince the clowns at VM that the router was playing up, they fanally admitted that I had one of the first gen models - V1. 

A new router came through the post, and initially i was impressed- speeds were at a more acceptable level, not the pitiful speed of my old routers speeds of 4.5Mbps!

However, one thing was wrong. My NAS server, which had been working fine with the old router suddenly stopped working. When I say stopped working, the router doesn't find it at all- I have to start, reboot, start, switch it off,start again, but it refuses to be reconised by the new router.

I thought it was the NAS server this time, well it was getting old- over 7 years old in fact, maybe it's finnaly time for a new one, so a quick look on amazon, and I found a new one - a WD MyCloud EX2 ultra! Great, I thought, lets get those 2TB files across to my new NAS server!

But, The router, which i was promised by the guy who told me that I've got a really old router would be much much better doesn't see the router as well!!!! So, I've got an old NAS server ( a D-link 320) and a brand new out of the box today NAS server ( A WD MyCloud Ultra EX2) that's about useful as a very expensive door stop!!

I phoned VM, only to be told that " the router is fine sir, there's no problem with it at all sir, but if you want Tec support for a non VM equipment, we can provide tec help, but you'll have to pay!

So, I'm left with a brand new NAS that doesn't work with this brand new 2 week old VM router that is supposed to "much much better" 

How long should I give before throwing the towel in, and move over to Sky????

I expect i'll get no help, but you never know......

Graham

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Re: Now at my wits end- how long should I leave it until I quit VM??

I use modem mode and an own router to avoid problems like this. On Sunday, I can go to ROUTER mode and attach my WD NAS and let you know what happens. The VM device is a HUB 3.
Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
chippycc
Joining in
Message 3 of 33
Flag for a moderator

I used modem mode, and although the "modem has now picked up the NAS drive, transferring files across to it is painfully slow- 2.5-3MBps at best, although it could be the router at fault here its a Belkin Wireless Share Router DSL (Cable Line) I bought from Amazon for £11.99 ( the price and reviews should have given me a clue) I've just purchased a newer and hopefully better router- watch this space!
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 33
Flag for a moderator

for the initial data copy to that new WD cloud NAS, at least, can you not go wired, from end to end with  good cat 6 cables. that should copy at Gb speeds.

once the NAS is fully loaded, uou may be OK with the wifi speeds for streaming from there- depends how much streaming you plan to do and what constrains you have on where the cloud & the HUb have to be.

wired will always be faster an more reliable, and ethernet cable is cheap.

if you google my cloud slow transfer speed  it's a popular topic.

with hindsight, maybe you shoudl have done that before buying it ?

I doubt that VM are to blame here

chippycc
Joining in
Message 5 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Oh yes, it was one of the first things I tried, before buying the router- Max speed then transferring files 2.5MBps... Now tell me that VM don't hand out crappy modem/routers...Oh, and it was a CAT6 cable being used at the time..
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 33
Flag for a moderator

that's not a bad speed, its not great though, probably because the router is a crap switch

why not go PC - nas

or PC - Gb switch - nas

and NOT include the router

at the very least, as a one off, it will establish if the router is to blame for the speed throttle

you do have GB port on PC ?

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Are you talking about transferring files internally, between something on your local network and your NAS, or from an external source.

Also note a lot of routers only have 100mb ports. the sh3 has gigabit ports, but I'm not sure about the sh2.

as mentioned above, going via a gigabit switch would probably be your best bet.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 8 of 33
Flag for a moderator

ports - the SH1 had Gb ports, so I@d expect the SH2 2ac to also have

not as fast as a GB switch though. maybe lack of RAM/ CPU in router caps transfer speed when working as a switch

well worth £10 for a 5 way plug n play Gb switch

I thought the OP needed to transferall  files from an old NAS to a new one, but he's not posted an answer  since asked that. Given that he's bought a new one, which I think does not have a hard drive swap option, I'm guessing that needs to be done.

the most I've done PC to PC via  Gb switch & with Gb ports is about 100GB but that was fast. From memory , I can copy 200+Gb per hour 

if anything in the chain  is capped at 100 ethernet then it's way slower- maybe only 30-40 Gb per hour throughput

my old SH1 hub refused to do Gb speeds to one specific switch ( a netgear) , so my braodband going from  hub ->switch ->PCs was being capped at 100, but when I swapped out that switch, faster service was resumed' 

0 Kudos
chippycc
Joining in
Message 9 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Ok, here's a recap, I'm getting more and more convinced that the VM router/modem is the weak link here!

"I have a cloud EX2 with two Seagate ST4000DM000-1F2168 drives in a RAID 1 array. I wanted to move from a 1TB external drive to the NAS a load of movies, ( at least, on the last count, over 800! ).
The NAS works fine playing the movies, as a said, I need to move the films over to the NAS.
I put the virgin router into modem mode, and bought a Belkin Share router and a load of CAT 5E cables, and connected the router to the Virgin modem. However, the transfer speed is so slow, peaking around 2.5Mbps and never going above 3 Mbps. Ok that was wireless, but connecting the laptop to the Belkin router  via Ethernet produced even slower results!
Ok, I thought, "it could be the router at fault here", so I bought another router, a Belkin AC 1000DB 4 port Gigabyte Wi Fi N cable router access point F9K1112uk model. I set it up, and expected much faster speeds. Or so I thought....

Well, there was a slight improvement, and unlike the VM router/modem it recognised the NAS server straightaway, It was a waste of time connecting the NAS directly to the VM router/modem as it didn't find the NAS, indeed, it never could find the wireless printer upstairs!
Today, I bought a Netgear GS205-100UKS 5 port Gigabyte Ethernet desktop switch, connected that to the Belkin router, and the router to the VM router/modem, (after putting the VMrouter/modem into modem mode), and when tested via Ethernet cable, moved the speed up to 5.5Mbps! Hardly blistering speeds with both a gigabyte router and switch!

But what else can I do, I'm fast running out of ideas and the speed doesn't increase, from the paltry 5.5 Mbps? Am I missing something here? I'm using a Gigabyte router, a Gigabyte switch and CAT 5E cables, I can only think it could be the cables, (using CAT5E, but maybe I should be using CAT 6 or even 7!) but is there something else I can try? I'm beginning to have doubts on the VM router/modem, which has caused me endless problems ever since I received it a couple of months ago....It, not recognising the NAS and the wireless printer and that could have been a clue...

Graham

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Are you able to use the FTP functions of the WD NAs devices? Ensuring the maximum number of simultaneous threads?

Or is the transfer mediated by your PC?

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos