Menu
edgemart
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Non UK IP Address

Hi can someone from VM please help!?  VM did some broadband "upgrade" work in our area today and when the broadband came back online our IP address had changed.  We can no longer use BBC iPlayer or the National Lottery website as both say our IP address is not a UK IP address.  This is the same across all devices and we aren't using any sort of VPN.

Using IP address checkers do say we are in the UK - but not always the right region.

Our address seems to be 86.17.XXX.XX

I've tried calling 150 VM Support but they can't help me apparently, not a great level of service again!  They say they can't even see or check if our IP address has changed.

Many thanks to anyone who can help, especially from VM!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Non UK IP Address

IP Address do not have locations they can be used anywhere in the world. Services like BBC and NL use a geo location database by 3rd parties that try and keep a database of ip locations. This can be often be wrong. As you have a ip address owned by VM being used int he UK its clearly a UK ip address right now.

you'll have to contact the sites in question and get them yo update the database they use.
edgemart
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for your reply.  I have contacted the BBC and NL so far.  NL has already come to be stating 

A search of your IP address has shown that it is being routed through Ireland.

Please could I kindly ask you to contact your Service Provider again to ensure that your IP address is not being routed overseas.

Could this be happening or is it more likely the case their geo location database is out of date?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

there database is out of date. you can post a tracert to the NL site and it will show you how it being routed but that wont matter, they only look at your ip as the hops in a route can changed second by second. they fobbed you off
cuddylier
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I checked an IP in 86.17.x.x and it does appear to be geo-located to the UK properly on Maxmind's database (company that most services use to get the location of an IP): https://www.maxmind.com/en/geoip-demo but lots of sites only grab the database every so often e.g. monthly so you may have to end up waiting a while before NL or the BBC grab an update if they won't do anything about it now.

0 Kudos