Menu
mvu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No such thing as a free Hub upgrade to 3.0?

Tried the https://keepup.virginmedia.com/hubupgrade#order-container

Free upgrade on hub3 before 20 Nov 2017? Like others, this page didn't recognise my account details - by design ?

When I call VM they can swap hubs but will charge £20 to activate otherwise I need to join a forum to chat about it. ... Really?! umm...so it's not free then? what is it - false advertising? publicity stunt? and I don't want to join a forum chat about it online hoping someone will reply.

But when I talk on the phone about extending to multi room TV (which I do in future) - it's suddenly a different story - if I buy all the boxes NOW. If the approach isn't on form then customers will not stay.You can hide my comment if you want to. Having now read about the issues of Hub3 I am worried about swapping anyway. HubRouter/Wifi is the issue.

Will find out my own way to resolve as I feel like I'm typing in a baron online wasteland for unwanted VM support calls. It's good to talk Smiley Wink 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
av-115
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: No such thing as a free Hub upgrade to 3.0?

mvu,

When you spoke to them on the phone, which option did you use? Generally, the Customer Services/Retentions team are more helpful when the other teams have fell short. To reach them, use the "thinking of leaving us" option.

The Superhub 3 has better WiFi capabilities than the Superhub 1 & 2/ac (especially the Superhub 1, that is truly awful) but if you play online games I wouldn't upgrade at this time due to the latency problems. If you're experiencing poor WiFi performance, you may wish to create a separate thread in the Networking & WiFi section. There are some very knowledgeable members on that side of the forum who will be able to assist.

--------------------------
TV: XL TV + Sky Sports (V6 & V+ HD)
Broadband: VIVID 200
Phone: Talk Unlimited
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Have you received a letter/email from VM advising you to upgrade your hub, or just somehow found that page? The free upgrade is only for certain customers with especially old hardware which needs to be replaced. If you haven't been contacted the upgrade page won't recognise your details. 

Either way you're probably best sticking with the SH2 as the Hub 3 has all kinds of issues.

All Replies
mvu
Tuning in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

PS: No offence meant to the VM Online Web Support Team... I feel annoyed because the responsibility has been delegated from phone support to an online forum discussion so hence you get the brunt of everyone's frustration.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi mvu, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you are having an issue upgrading. 

There was an issue with this that we were made aware of however since you posted we have resolved this Smiley Happy 

Try again and let us know how things go. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
mvu
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply. Sorry to say it still says " Sorry, we can't find you in our system. Please check your details and try again."
0 Kudos
av-115
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

mvu,

When you spoke to them on the phone, which option did you use? Generally, the Customer Services/Retentions team are more helpful when the other teams have fell short. To reach them, use the "thinking of leaving us" option.

The Superhub 3 has better WiFi capabilities than the Superhub 1 & 2/ac (especially the Superhub 1, that is truly awful) but if you play online games I wouldn't upgrade at this time due to the latency problems. If you're experiencing poor WiFi performance, you may wish to create a separate thread in the Networking & WiFi section. There are some very knowledgeable members on that side of the forum who will be able to assist.

--------------------------
TV: XL TV + Sky Sports (V6 & V+ HD)
Broadband: VIVID 200
Phone: Talk Unlimited
mvu
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you av-115

Son is just getting into online gaming (but not heavily... yet) and they watch a lot of video content. Have tried changing channels which is better but still drops out.  Router is frequently rebooted by irrate family members and occasionally stops broadcasting SSID.  Not sure if Hub 3 sounds like right approach for the future either - I don't want to jump out of pan into the fire. Shame about the routers - not much good when your BB speed to house is great but the routers don't do the rest of the job properly. Have read about turning Hub into modem mode, didn't really want to start purchasing more equipment if the Hub 3 sorted it tho. Will check out that thread anyway. Thanks.

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Have you received a letter/email from VM advising you to upgrade your hub, or just somehow found that page? The free upgrade is only for certain customers with especially old hardware which needs to be replaced. If you haven't been contacted the upgrade page won't recognise your details. 

Either way you're probably best sticking with the SH2 as the Hub 3 has all kinds of issues.

mvu
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. No letter. Just found the link.
0 Kudos