Since lat night I've been without internet and TV.
Phoned up first thing this morning and went through all checks, man in India agreed that Athere is a problem but he couldn't book an engineer due to none being available in the foreseeable future.
He promised to update me via text but I've received nothing, nada, zilch. I guess I'll just have to wait until someone comes along, in the meantime Twitter is going to feel my wrath.
Yeah the India call centres are worse than useless, i wouldn't waste your breath.
If you are outwith contract call up and go through to cancellations / retention's, i am sure an engineer will "become available" if your going to cancel.
Hope this helps.