Menu
Cesq
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

No Virgin box but previous tenant definitely had Virgin Media

Hi Forum,

I'm trying to set up superhub (1.0) after a house move. VM say BBand is activated. Previous tenant (literally 2 weeks ago) had VM and BBand. 

There's no white box.

Cable comes into house, connected to a 3dB attenuator and then into an F Connector Splitter.

Hub stays solid blue for data light (so not connected to internet?).

So, what should I plug into what? I've tried a few combinations at random without any luck. Or, will it just not work and we need an engineer?

Many thanks!

Quick pic of the above:

IMG_2810.jpg

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: No Virgin box but previous tenant definitely had Virgin Media

Have you phoned to get the hub registered at your new address?

If it is still activated on your old account the equipment's MAC address will not match the node path at your new location. This will result in your equipment being disabled.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Personally I would take the 3 dB attenuator off, you can always replace it if your downstream power levels are too high

splitter.jpg

0 Kudos
vircom
Well-informed
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Your picture does not show a terminator cap on the unused port. If you don't have TV I cant see the need for the splitter, if you keep it you should terminate the unused port.

I would connect cable to attenuator then the attenuator into the SHub. Once it has settled down check the levels. If they are to high or low you might need a VM tech to come and make the necessary adjustments. If the splitter has a terminator cap on the unused port you could connect as suggested by griffin. Then add the attenuator if the levels are to high. There is a sticky post about levels at the top of this section.
0 Kudos

All Replies
Cesq
Tuning in
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I'll leave this up for a bit longer as I'm not home to check but there's a chance the line still isn't activated (although I was told it was yesterday...). I'll update as and when I know for sure. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Have you phoned to get the hub registered at your new address?

If it is still activated on your old account the equipment's MAC address will not match the node path at your new location. This will result in your equipment being disabled.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

Cesq
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Everything is activated but we are no further forward. What should be wired to what? The router is intermittently sending data now. If this were an adsl line it might be a filter issue but it's not so I'm at a loss.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Personally I would take the 3 dB attenuator off, you can always replace it if your downstream power levels are too high

splitter.jpg

0 Kudos
vircom
Well-informed
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Your picture does not show a terminator cap on the unused port. If you don't have TV I cant see the need for the splitter, if you keep it you should terminate the unused port.

I would connect cable to attenuator then the attenuator into the SHub. Once it has settled down check the levels. If they are to high or low you might need a VM tech to come and make the necessary adjustments. If the splitter has a terminator cap on the unused port you could connect as suggested by griffin. Then add the attenuator if the levels are to high. There is a sticky post about levels at the top of this section.
0 Kudos
Cesq
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Well, we've tried with and without the attenuator and also have been informed there's some local stability issues so overall, we're still at a loss however, at least the guidance as to what to plug into what has been excellent so thanks to you all!
0 Kudos
vircom
Well-informed
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Just for clarity. Did you bring the SHub with you from the old house? I would have expected you to be supplied with a new SHub 3 when you set up a new account for your new house and then had it activated via a phone call to VM once it was connected.
0 Kudos
Cesq
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

We were told to just bring the old hub with us which is a hub 1.0 as far as I can make out from the images on this site. In the old flat, the cable connected directly to the hub (again no Virgin box).
0 Kudos
Cesq
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Ongoing saga is now the router won't recognise any of the devices it used to connect to and keeps asking for its password.
0 Kudos