Menu
Mick62
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

New set up

Hi

I am upgrading my package next week. The lady on the phone asked me if i would be happy doing the install myself. Without thinking i said  " yes " ,after all what could go wrong. Anyway...long story short, the new tivo box thingy is set to arrive middle of next week. What i would like to know is...Should there not be cable coming in the house from outside for the tv channels. I do have a virgin phone line , does the tv come through that cable. Apart from the phone line there are no other cables coming into my home from outside. Am i still able to set the tivo box up without any other cables.

TIA

Mick

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: New set up

if you do not have Internet you will need a engineer to install the cable. if you have internet you just get a splitter to split that cable
Mick62
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi
Thanks for that reply. I managed to set up up without any problems. Now I am up and running though, I have come up against another problem. As part of my tv set up,i got broadband upgrade from 100mbs to 200mbs.. I have done a few speed test to check what speed I actually get , and surprise surprise there is no difference . I was getting speeds ranging from 47--55mbs before the upgrade and I am getting the same now. Should I have received a newer broadband hub up to cope with the extra speed. I managed to watch my tv firestick in another part of the house before the upgrade without any buffering , now I have ( apparently ) got twice the speed it just buffers then plays for a few seconds the buffers again... Any suggestions anyone ???
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

are you testing the BB speed wired or wireless - always test wired - if you are testing wireless that may be all you will get - thats not down to VM assuming the wired speed is 200 or there abouts - wifi speeds are all about the device and many will not get anywhere near 200 

Tony
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mick62,

Thanks for posting!

Glad to hear you've got it all set up.

As -tony- has said, it's best to do a wired speed test to get an accurate measure of the speeds you are getting. Are you able to do this and post your results?

Speak soon Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos