Menu
edzieba
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

New kit activated and installed, broadband speed remains unchanged

Recently upgraded from a legacy 20 Mb/s package to the Vivid 200 Gamer (plus a TV sidegrade to the same package but with the newer Tivo box), which entailed swapping the ancient Ambit modem for a Super Hub 3. After activating the new kit and plugging it in (and a bit of faffing persuading Modem mode to work again after the firmware updated) everything is now running.

Except the actual network speed has remained unchanged, 20 Mb/s down and ~1.5 Mb/s up. Tested with a direct ethernet connection with SH3 in Modem mode. Tested with both speedtest.net thinkbroadband's tester, results are consistent.

Is there typically a delay in the actual speed change being rolled out?

-------

Checking the SH3 logs, all 16 downstream channels are between 2.5 and 3.2 dBmV with all SNRs above 36.6. Upstream channels are both 43 dBmV. No log messages subsequent to the final firmware upgrade message. These all appear to be within acceptable euroDOCSIS 3.0 limits.

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: New kit activated and installed, broadband speed remains unchanged

I'm not familiar with the Hub 3 but I presume in the menus there is an Operation Configuration page.  Access that and see what the Maximum Traffic Rate is.  If it doesn't show 230mbps (probably displayed as 230000000bps) then VM probably haven't switched you over to the new service and you'll need make a phone call ... 150 from a VM phone or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No delay not typically, you activate the hub they send the hit and your new profile should be good to go, its not like vdsl where it takes time for newer to speeds to kick in and settle down, I would try contacting virgin just to make sure they have applied your new speed profile
edzieba
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Downstream max traffic rate is listed as 23000000 (23,000,000), Upstream as 1180000 (1,180,000), which appear to be the old values. Looks like I'll be giving VM a call.

0 Kudos
edzieba
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Just to update: The issue was the provisioning action had not been completed on VM's end. Once that was completed manually, connection speed was reset to the correct rate.

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

edzieba wrote:

Just to update: The issue was the provisioning action had not been completed on VM's end. Once that was completed manually, connection speed was reset to the correct rate.

Pleased to hear you got it sorted out.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello edzieba,

Thanks for your post, welcome to the forum!

Great to hear that you're up and running now, I apologise for the complications.

Please continue to post and get involved in more conversations.

Have a great weekend,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos