Menu
RedTomato
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

New install, working for 24 hours then "Registration error" upon connecting to ethernet switch.

New install last Monday, nice bloke, but left a mess after drilling the wall, didn't clean up any of the dust or mess in my living room, and left 10-15m of discarded co-ax cable on the road verge outside my house, making me look a bit of a litterbug to the neighbours.  (Is this normal operating procedure?)  

Hub 3.0 started working the next day, lovely full 50Mbs speed, checked via speedtest.com.  Oddly was unable to do the first connection (for activation) via Chrome on my laptop.  Left me scratching my head for a bit, because wifi was connected but Chrome was giving me blank pages. Then tried connection via my iPhone, and the activation screen came up and all was fine after that. 

Did I say all was fine?  24 hours later, connection stopped working, flashing green lights came up. Looked at the interface, "Registration error."   Did a hard reset via the button at the back and left it powered off overnight. Still no joy.

Just been on the phone to VM, gave feedback about the installation, and an engineer will be over next Tuesday.   Sigh. 

I want to ask something:  - the connection hard drop happened very soon after, if not at the same time, as I plugged the Hub 3.0 into my home ethernet system.  I had just reconfigured my old (working) router to act as a dumb switch by turning off DHCP and various other router services (including IPv6) and changing the IP address so it didn't clash with the VM Hub 3.0.  However I realised I'd forgotten to apply these changes ** before before connecting the Hub 3.0.

Could this be in any way the source of the hard connection drop?  As far as I know, such sensitivity would be unknown in any reasonable piece of networking equipment, but I am seeing that the Hub 3.0 is perhaps a little bit special in this regard.   The old router is now back in service connecting me to the old (non-VM) internet service until the engineer comes. 

** For the non-technical, this would be the equivalent of having the Hub 3.0 at a party saying 'I'm Adam, everyone please do as I say" and another router piping up "No, I'm the real Adam,  do as I say".  Result: a bit of harmless confusion until the second Adam is quietly told to be quiet and call himself Bob instead. (i.e. DHCP turned off and IP address changed.) 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: New install, working for 24 hours then "Registration error" upon connecting to ethernet switch.

Hi RedTomato,

Thank you for your informative and comprehensive post, and thanks for finding your way to our Community, welcome on board Smiley Happy  I do hope everything is now working well for you though apologise for the necessity of having an engineer appointment so soon after the install. Your Hub does now appear to be working so hopefully things have settled down since you posted.

I very much doubt that connecting your own router would have resulted in a connection failure, of the Hub that is. Devices attempting to connect to your router may have had an issue but I'd be very surprised if that caused a hard fail.

Anyway, if we don't hear back from you I'll assume all is well. If we do then we'll do whatever we can to help.

All the best Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos