Menu
vikingbeard
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

New install aborted due to lack of pre-installer communication

Hi I was due for an install today which hasn't gone ahead, due to in my opinion poor communication on Virgin Medias part.

I contacted you about joining over the phone, during that conversation I was asked if Virgin had been at my property before, when i told the advisor I was with SKY he asked me to check both inside & outside the property for boxes and cabling.

I told him that nothing could be seen inside or outside. I also explained that being a council property, my house had recently had a lot of work done to the exterior including internal rewiring of electrics, the whole outside of the house stripped & rebuilt with brick (previously prefab metal sheets) and new gardens, driveway & paths laid.

Due to the lack of boxes or cables, the advisor told me I would require a 2 man install to feed a new cable underground & back into my property. He also book me in for a pre-install visit from an area supervisor to access exactly what work needed to be done.

The pre-visit took place on Tuesday 17th Jan. Due to work commitments, My eldest son (19) was at home during the visit. I had left him extremely detailed hand written instructions from the telephone conversation about the required work. However when the visit took place the engineer informed him that after & inspecting outside the property that everything would go ahead as planned for the Saturday 21st Jan. My son was quite concerned that not only did he show no interest in my provided notes, he literally had a quick look at the front of the house & drove away.

As soon as I returned home that day I phoned to enquire about the results of the pre-install visit. I was told that everything was fine for the install to go ahead and only 1 man would be attending on the 21st. I questioned as to why this had suddenly changed from a 2 man visit & referred the telephone advisor to the notes on my account about the work that needed doing but was told that if additional work was required that my installer would simply call for someone working nearby to come and help out??

Fast forward to today, the day of the install, 1 engineer arrived at 10:30 as soon as I opened the door he said the install was not going ahead. Explaining that he was familiar with both the area and my property, he knew as soon as he pulled up in his van that I should have been booked for a full new install from a 2 man crew. 

He said that he had been to several properties in this area which had suffered damaged cables, boxes removed etc. After extensive surveying of both inside & outside he confirmed that there is currently no cable going from the cabinet to my property. This he said was caused by heavy machinery used for gardens/driveways/footpath and the changes to the property itself.

The engineer also asked about the pre-install visit. After telling him what happened he confirmed that although he had reference to someone coming out, there had been no job notes left about the state of the property or the extent of the work to be done. The job had also been changed to 1 man install, connecting up inside the property.

After spending about half an hour checking every possible solution & lots of phone calls he said the T-junction is missing from my property which now had probably been tarmac over by the council. There is no cabling under the garden. This along with the lack of boxes or cabling inside or out was glaringly obvious that a full new install was needed. He was very annoyed that the person who came on Tuesday 18th had not only missed all this, but also cancelled off the original 2 man visit.

As a result I am now sat with no services, my Sky has been disconnected meaning no phone, TV or internet at my property which does not sit well for a family of 5.

I am also looking at a potential 10-14 day wait for a construction team to dig up the road outside to run new cables from the cabinet before anything can be added to the property.

This is not acceptable, this is due to no fault of my own, I made sure I was 100% clear of my needs right from the start, you lack of communication is astounding. The fact that somebody can come to assess what is potentially a big job requiring a team of people/equipment and cancel off the required work pushing me back 2 weeks and wasting both my time and the time of today's installer is quite frankly mind boggling and embarrassing.

I no longer have faith that this install will actually go ahead at all.

A further 2 week wait due to your incompetence is not acceptable, someone who knows what they are doing needs to get back to my property right away and sort out this shambles. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: New install aborted due to lack of pre-installer communication

if you need roads digging up it can take more then 14 days as it will require planning permission.
If you need internet and TV fast you might want to look at going back to sky and one of the openreach providers for internet.
0 Kudos
vikingbeard
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your comments, unfortunately I do not live in a fibre connected area internet from an openreach provider is laughable to the point where it grinds to a halt if more than one person is online. I am not prepared to sign on to any contract for services down a phone line again.

The point of my very annoyed & long winded message is that I should have been up & running today, I have gone out of my way to provide as much detail as possible to ensure the install went smoothly just for Virgin to come along & **bleep** it all up.

To have their incompetence set me back a few week is very annoying. Simply saying go back to what you had before isn't an acceptable answer or i wouldn't be looking to change in the first place.

Yes I fully understand that my required work may need extra time & planning permission, but his was communicated from day one and was all arranged for a smooth transition, yet someone else sore fit to undo all that work because they couldn't be bothered to do the job they were booked to do.

0 Kudos
vikingbeard
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

So no replies from an actual virgin rep then?
Interesting start...
0 Kudos
Bodes
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Don't hold your breath for a construction crew especially if you live in the Leicester area. It took 7 weeks for them to do our cable re-pull. They are also notorious for lack communication if they decide to cancel.

Good luck

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

vikingbeard wrote:
So no replies from an actual virgin rep then?
Interesting start...

VM take a week or so to get to threads - adding posts puts you down their queue - any reply will be sympathetic but theres not going to be much they can do - they may contact the area manager or construction but that may lead to nothing - this place is not really the correct point of contact - certainly it will do no harm to push it here but it may do no good

as others have said - from what you describe 14 days looks a non starter - many weeks or months would be my guess

Tony
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi vikingbeard

I appreciate you taking the time to get in touch with us about the issues with the delayed install.

I understand that having discussed these issues in advance, the fact that the pre planning you had done to ensure there would be no issue has not been taken into consideration is incredibly frustrating and I am so sorry to hear that this has been the experience that you have had with us.

I know you may be communicating directly with our construction team regarding this. If not their number is 0345 045 0595 and their opening hours are Mon-Sat 830am-7pm.

I am happy to take a look into this for you too and for me to do this I will need to drop a pm to you that you can find in the purple envelope up on the top right of the forums. I can get the details form you that I need to support you there.

I hope to catch you soon.

Kind regards.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos