Menu
sijones
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

New Superhub 2 drops ethernet connection

The title says it all really - I've recently been 'supercharged' and have received a Superhub 2. This has replaced my old modem and DD-WRT router, both of which worked well.

I set the Superhub up OK, and got great speeds. But after 48 hours it has been dropping the connection to the main PC, which is connected by ethernet cable (this PC has no wireless card).

When this happens, the PC has no internet connection, and an 'ipconfig' request shows the computer claims to have an IP address of 25.197.11.250.

During these disconnections, I can't access the Superhub to login from the PC.

Wi-fi connection to the internet remains fine throughout from other devices (iPad etc).

Rebooting the Superhub makes no difference. Only rebooting the PC restores the connection. The ethernet cable is confirmed as good. The only thing new in my setup is the Superhub.

I haven't called 150 yet, having read so many dismal stories on here about their understanding of this problem (which seems relatively common). Please can anyone suggest anything before I resort to that?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

0 Kudos
sijones
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Superhub 2 drops ethernet connection

This problem persists, despite a number of things I've tried.

Ethernet connection drops intermittently, but the wifi remains fine. A PC reboot seems to help.

On the assumption the SH2 is not to blame, I've changed my DNS servers, disabled IPv6 connections, flushed DNS cache (numerous times), cleared the browser cache.

But anyway, it's not just browsing that fails - all internet connection to the Ethernet-connected PC goes.

Is anyone from Virgin reading? It seems to great a coincidence that this problem arose when I connected the SH2.

Can I reconnect my old Virgin modem, or is the SH2 necessary to keep my supercharged speed? In fact, can I reconnect the old modem, and simply forgo supercharged speed?

Have had great broadband reliability from Virgin for years, but my speed supercharge and Superhub 2 have left me much worse off than I was before, so the whole 'upgrade' has become a pretty crummy experience.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi sijones, 

Thanks for your post. 

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. 

Reading through your posts, it seems as though the issue is with the PC. If there was an issue with the hub rebooting it would resolve it. As rebooting the PC is the only thing fixing it currently it's possible the issue is with the network card.

I would check to make sure your Network adapter is fully up to date. Try changing the ethernet cable going from the hub to the PC as this may also help. 

I'm afraid with our re tiering the lowest broadband speed we hope to have customers on is 50mb which does mean a hub will be needed. 

Let me know how you get on after checking the Network adapter and changing the ethernet cable. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
sijones
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath,

Thanks for your reply, which I've only just seen (I've been away).

The problem persists, and I don't think the PC network adaptor or cable can be blamed.

I have fitted a new ethernet cable (even though the previous one worked flawlessly on my old Virgin setup for years). The network adaptor driver on the PC is the most up to date available, and there was never a problem before the Superhub was installed.

The PC is not the only device to suffer when the ethernet failure occurs. My ethernet-connected home server goes to sleep and stops serving music to my ethernet-connected Squeezeplayer. If the PC had a problem and dropped off the network, I don't see how this would affect a separate wired server talking to a separate wired Squeezeplayer. During all of this my wifi connections are unaffected.

I believe that the Superhub periodically fails to channel data through its ethernet connections: this manifests itself both as failure for the wired PC to connect to the WAN and a failure between wired devices inside the home network.

A forum search shows I'm not the first person to have this problem.

Apart from anything else: all of my home setup has worked for years. The problems have occurred within 48 hours of the introduction of the Superhub. The obvious fix is to swap it out for a replacement - please can this be arranged?

0 Kudos
Ri
Tuning in
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

sijones wrote:

When this happens, the PC has no internet connection, and an 'ipconfig' request shows the computer claims to have an IP address of 25.197.11.250.

Interesting the Ip address is DINSA, Ministry of Defence Oxfordshire

Untitled.png

some news for you

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/159821-dinsa-ministry-of-defence/

http://steamcommunity.com/app/230410/discussions/0/864969481952553665/

http://forums.peerblock.com/read.php?3,15253,15253

http://community.logmein.com/t5/Hamachi/Hamachi-and-DINSA-Ministry-of-Defense/td-p/87674

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hello sijones

Interesting problem :smileyhappy:

I wonder where that IP came from, don't think it is from the hub though? Have you got ICS set up?

Anyway having just tested your connection I can see big problems with power levels:

VM SUPER HUB 2  Downstream 0  -9.5 dBmV
VM SUPER HUB 2  Downstream 1  -11.2 dBmV
VM SUPER HUB 2  Downstream 2  -11.3 dBmV
VM SUPER HUB 2  Downstream 3  -11.7 dBmV
VM SUPER HUB 2  Downstream 4  -11.8 dBmV
VM SUPER HUB 2  Downstream 5  -10.1 dBmV
VM SUPER HUB 2  Downstream 6  -9.6 dBmV
VM SUPER HUB 2  Downstream 7  -9.2 dBmV

Upstream Power level (TXPower)
VM SUPER HUB 2  Upstream 0  55.0 dBmV
VM SUPER HUB 2  Upstream 1  52.0 dBmV

This will most likely cause an intermittent connection and I wonder if this is clouding the issue.

I think it's best we get an engineer out in the first instance and take it from there.

I will send you a private message to make arrangements.

Thanks, speak soon  :smileyhappy:
Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
dazl1212
Joining in
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I have this exact same issue.

Never had my PC give the "network cable unplugged" error before.

Now for some reason if I leave my PC for a while and comeback I get this error.

Its like the port is being shut down due to inactivity.

Rebooting the router does nothing as does unplugging the cable. 

Reboot my PC and it works fine.... As i said and has been mentioned on here the issue has only cropped up since I installed the Superhub.

Tried plugging my old router in and no issues with the lan connection at all.

Any help?

I work in Networking so believ me I have tried everything I can think of as I figured it was a security feature...

Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi dazl1212,

Thank for posting though sorry to see you're experiencing similar problems with the 'network cable unplugged' message.

Do you loose internet access on other device when this happens and is there any change in the SuperHub lights at all.

Could you browse to 192.168.0.1 and go to router status and post your Superhub power levels and network log details as these may also prove useful in diagnosing what's happening.

Many Thanks

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

my windows 7 PC very occasionally claims " network cable is unplugged" when it is not. Google tells me it is a known but obscure Win 7 fault, not worth obsessing over if it is infrequent.

It only ever happens on this one PC, when it is coming out of sleep. so I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with my hub, my my case I go PCvia 4 way Gb switch to hub anyway, not direct from PC to hub, and I'm not on SH2

Either of unplug/ replug cable or reboot PC clears the issue & I've taken the precaution of spending £5 on a gigabit PCi card , ready to drop in if  the onboard LAN ever dies completely

try unplugging & reconnecting your cable, next time you see that message.- oops I see you tried that already.

I think you have trouble doing this "Could you browse to 192.168.0.1 and go to router status" on a PC that claims to be disconnected though!- maybe they are hoping you can do that from a 2nd PC?

0 Kudos
alexgoodhand
Joining in
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ralph,

I am having this issue at the moment, my Ethernet connected PC loses connection to the internet and the router, when this happens it seems to block the access for my other devices such as my tablet too. As soon as I shutdown the PC the other devices can connect once more.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks..

0 Kudos