Menu
ChrisOfBristol
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

New Modem

I've just had a new Hub 3.0 modem delivered. I am trying to get it to work. I failed at the second step.

"1) When everything's connected" - OK

"2) you've called the Virgin Media activation number." FAIL

I can't find any reference to this in the box of bits or the emails they've sent me. I've tried just letting my phone sort it out like you might in a pub or cafe, but it doesn't want to know.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
AntoniJ1975
Dialled in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: New Modem

You need to call the activation number before you install the new hub, if you have already installed the new hub disconnect it and then call the activation line: 0800 953 9500  which should be on the front of the blue booklet that comes in the box. They send a signal to activate your new hub and it disables the old kit you have. Once activated you can then connect your new hub, turn it on for 3mins then off and back on to reset it. Then just leave it go through its setup process which can take upto 30mins.

hope this helps...

AntoniJ1975
Dialled in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I had my old bit of kit running when i phoned the activation line, when I did this and checked my modem it would no longer work. So this is when I installed the new hub. Not sure how it works if you have already set it up but possibly re-connect your old kit first to be on the safe side. Maybe someone else or a member of staff could clarify this.
0 Kudos
AntoniJ1975
Dialled in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

all well that ends well, glad i could help!!

All Replies
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

if you have virgin media landline call 150 there is a opation in that number to actice the new modem or you can google the virgin media activation number

Using VIVID 350 Optical Fibre, Player TV, Talk Weekends

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
0 Kudos
AntoniJ1975
Dialled in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You need to call the activation number before you install the new hub, if you have already installed the new hub disconnect it and then call the activation line: 0800 953 9500  which should be on the front of the blue booklet that comes in the box. They send a signal to activate your new hub and it disables the old kit you have. Once activated you can then connect your new hub, turn it on for 3mins then off and back on to reset it. Then just leave it go through its setup process which can take upto 30mins.

hope this helps...

ChrisOfBristol
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

They sent me red booklet - no activation number Smiley Happy If "They send a signal to activate your new hub", how does this work if it's disconnected? Do you mean disconnected from everything (power, computer, line)? is it something that just happens at their end perhaps? I don't want to ring the number until I've got it right as it might be a one-off thing that would lead to me having neither old nor new modem working if I get it wrong.

0 Kudos
AntoniJ1975
Dialled in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I had my old bit of kit running when i phoned the activation line, when I did this and checked my modem it would no longer work. So this is when I installed the new hub. Not sure how it works if you have already set it up but possibly re-connect your old kit first to be on the safe side. Maybe someone else or a member of staff could clarify this.
0 Kudos
ChrisOfBristol
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

OK, will try now, if I get it working I'll give you a thumbs up. If you never hear from me again you'll know that I've given up and changed Internet providerSmiley Happy
0 Kudos
ChrisOfBristol
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@AntoniJ1975 I completely removed the new modem and left my old one plugged in (in case I needed your help) and ringing that number didn't work. I then completely unplugged both old and new modems from mains, line and computer and the "switchover" worked. It must be something that they do completely at their end - no communication with me involved. I then followed your/phone instructions about waiting 3 and 30 mins, and I'm now connected on new modem.

Ahem! While I was waiting the 30 mins I had a poke about in the box in case I'd missed something, and discovered another booklet stuck to an inner lid of the box. I had not taken much notice of that, assuming it was packaging contents type bureacracy... It is blue with the phone number on it! Whoops! That said I still couldn't get it to work on mobile, PC with cable or PC with wireless for about an hour of switching things on and off and attempting to connect. A real pain in the ****!

Thanks so much for your help, I wouldn't have got this to work without it.

0 Kudos
AntoniJ1975
Dialled in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

all well that ends well, glad i could help!!
Bedford
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply to someone else - I too had the same question.  I can now go ahead and try it which I have been frightened to do before in case I lost everything.  I have to say that I found the first virgin letter mildly threatening - "if you don't..."etc.  and am not pleased with this cavalier attitude. I am an elderly technophobe with arthritic knees and I don't see why I should have to do this myself when I pay for their service.  I am thinking seriously of moving to another provider.  Here goes then - wish me luck.

0 Kudos