Menu
JamesAlexanderB
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

New Build Issues

Hello,

We moved into our new build house in March 2016, and before we moved in we were told by the letting agent that we were able to get "Sky and Virgin right from the get go".

When we moved in, I noticed we had a brown Virgin box on the front of the house along with a BT cable box as well. The Virgin box had some blue rope in it. After a few weeks of getting nowhere with Virgin, we decided to go with Sky for the first year in the hopes that Virgin would be cabled up by the time we came for renewing.

However, we've still had no sign that the cable has been pulled through despite the blue rope disappearing from near the Brown Virgin Box. Although, when I input our postcode in to the system on the website I am being met with the "Cable my Street" page still.

Any idea when this could be cabled up for? As I would really like to switch to Virgin and have fibre optic broadband. 

Thanks. Smiley Happy 

0 Kudos
JamesAlexanderB
Tuning in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Build Issues

Just wondering if anyone has seen this yet to provide me an answer?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

VM are taking a while to get to threads so hopefully they can give a more complete answer as and when - some help - some guesswork and some 'not sure' - the brown box is the termination of the cable from the street cabinet - that would normally not exist until the cable was pulled from the cabinet via the underground duct that normally terminates at the edge of the property - the cable would then normally be run across a garden and buried finally connecting to the brown box

thats  half the installation - a tech then would come and wire from the to the inside

if the external box exists and with the info you have it suggests that cable is in place - worth having a closer look - no idea what the blue rope is - you are looking for a twin core cable - coax and thinner phone cable - if that exists then installation should be possible but you need to get the address added to the data base - a spotter should be asked for and that should get things moving

if there is no cable then one need pulling from the street cab - to the drop point on the pavement - same problem with getting the address added - 'normally' a cable would only be pulled when there is firm order for installation 

more info from the letting agent would help maybe - you also need permissions from the owner or agent as its rented accommodation 

Tony
0 Kudos
JamesAlexanderB
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I presumed the blue rope was there to signify that the cable still needed to be pulled through?

The blue rope hasn't been there since August/September, however there is no cable going into the Omnibox yet. 

We have a street cabinet at the entrance to the close, but clearly it isn't on/working?

We were told before we moved in that we could get Virgin Media, but coming up to almost a year and still nothing. 

We have the Coax entry point on the wall also, so I'm really not too sure what else needs to be done apart from the cable being pulled through? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

the cable will not be pulled now - that might have been the intention but it wont happen now until an order is placed - cabinet may or may not be working - its only a staging point for connections from houses - that will be or should be connected back to other cabinets and finally to the system

what needs to happen now - you need to order BB or a service and start the proceedure - to do that you need the address to be on VM's system - if it is then an order can be placed - if not you need a spotter out to look at whats installed already - once the order is placed the cable will be pulled to the drop point on the pavement or maybe to the brown box if a duct exists under the garden - so the ball is in your court - speak to the sales team and see wht they can do - you need to get the landlord involved as permission will need to be obtained

Tony
0 Kudos
JamesAlexanderB
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

My address is on the website when I put my postcode in but then I get brought to the Cable My Street screen after that as I can't access anything else.

Is that because I need to talk to the Sales team about a Spotter coming out?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

not sure - best thing to do is ring sales and see what they say

Tony
0 Kudos
JamesAlexanderB
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I have contacted landlord, who have said all that needs to be done is the cable needs to be pulled through to the Omnibox. 

I'm going to contact Sales about having the cable pulled through and see what they say. 

0 Kudos