Menu
auldreekie
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Need to change superhub router location

I'm currently on 50mb connection.

My router and computer are both in the spare room as was the V box which I've had removed as i no longer needed it.

I need to move computer and superhub router to opposite end of the room. There is one cable coming out of the virgin box on the wall which leads into some sort of splitter which the  tech guy added when I joined Virgin.

From the splitter is two cables, one (short one) connects to the router, the other one longer and approx 2 - 3 mtr which connected to the V box  which used to be in another part of the same room.

Can I simply put the longer cable to the router without affecting my broadband connection ?

This would allow me to move my computer setup to another location within the same room. Any advice from the techs would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Need to change superhub router location

yes and maybe no - you dont actually need the splitter as you have removed the second device but its obviously useful to do what you want

so yes you can do what you want - the no is only if by doing so it affects the levels in the Superhub

so 

log into superhub - 192.168.0.1 - DON'T SIGN IN, click router status [top right] - and note the downstream and upstream figures

the downstream should be in the range -6 +10 - the upstream below 50

make the changes you want and check the levels again - they may move but as long as they are in that range all should be good - final tests are speed test and reliability

Tony
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Just to add to what Tony had already advised, it is always a good idea to terminate any connection left unused with a 75ohm termination cap to prevent imbalances and introduction of 'noise' in the network ... like these ...  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009F3IGG8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
auldreekie
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

thank for the info.

0 Kudos