Menu
BigEdMustapha
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

NETGEAR D7800 move from BT to Virgin

Hello,

I'm currently with BT and using a NETGEAR D7800-100UKS Nighthawk AC2600 Dual Band 11 AC (MU-MIMO Wi-Fi) VDSL/ADSL Modem Router for Phone Line Connections.

This was an expensive bit of kit and wondered if anyone can advise if I can continue using when moving to Virgin Cable in a few weeks time.

Anyone out there been through something similar already and can advise what needs to be done?

Note that I'm an IT simpleton so please keep any replies with this in mind.....

Saw some stuff on the web about "switching to modem mode" and "WANS" but no real clue what any of that means...

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: NETGEAR D7800 move from BT to Virgin

The bad news is that Router/Modem will Not work on a Virgin Media connection.

EDIT: ignore this I just looked in the user guide and its got a WAN port on it as well as a standard dal port.

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
BigEdMustapha
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the quick reply Tidus....is that even though it's both a VDSL as well as an ADSL modem/router.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Just looked at the user guide and it states that you can use the Red Ethernet port for a cable modem so with that in mind it should be fine with a VM hub in modem mode. 

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
0 Kudos
BigEdMustapha
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Riiiiight. I'll do some more research but it appears the steps are to put the Super Hub into modem mode (I'll do a bit more browsing on the web to see how to do that) and then connect to my Netgear via an ethernet cable to the red port you mentioned. Then following whatever prompts the Netgear throws up. Assuming there'll be something to change as I'm currently configured for BT. Hey presto! We're good to go.

Seems simple enough now I've typed it out in that sentence - Though I'm sure that once I try it in practice it will be several hours of swearing at amber blinking lights, chucking a massive benny and then throwing the thing in the bin.

Appreciate the help and patience Bud.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

if its configured for BT then i would be inclined to reset it to system defaults before you add it to the VM system - not checked how to do that but sure there will be a reset button somewhere

Tony
0 Kudos
BigEdMustapha
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tony. Makes sense to start from scratch rather than try and undo whatever I've already done.

0 Kudos