Menu
Bodes
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

NAS Configuration on SuperHub 3

Hi,

Has anyone had any success with setting up a WD MyCloud NAS using the Superhub 3? It worked fine with my previous Superhub 2 but now wont do anything with new Hub 3???

It appears to be an issue with the port forwarding which I have no idea about?

Firmware is 9.1.116V

I have UPnP enabled and DCHP reserving my NAS as 192.168.0.2 as it was with the Hub2.

The NAS reports that port forwarding failed on Ports 80 and 443 and the set up guide wants these settings.

HTTP internal port 80 external 8082 protocol TCP

HTTPS internal port 443 external 8443 protocol TCP

FTP internal port 21 external 21 protocol TCP

Using the Superhub 3 port forwarding rules I have no idea how to set this up as i dont understand start and end points??? 

Also the IP for the NAS used to be 192.168.0.2 now the Superhub 3 seems to want it to be 192.168.0.10 again I'm a bit lost with this.

I know the Superhub has issues with port forwarding anyway but can anyone give any help with getting this working again as I use it to share files for work and its a problem.

Thanks

Thomas

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: NAS Configuration on SuperHub 3

A WD MyCloud does work ok with a Hub3, but like you I had a bit of trouble at the start.

For a start, I would remove any DCHP reservations you have put in the Hub or in the MyCloud for the MyCloud, then restart the MyCloud and maybe Hub as well. Hopefully this will sort the IP mess OK.
With my NAS's I have set the DCHP reservations on the NAS's themselves and not on the Hub, also I've set them high out the way of anything else, eg: 192.168.0.80 and then 81, 82 ect.

On the ports/upnp side, I had trouble with the internet ports no working on the MyCloud, the only thing what solved that for me - was a factory reset of the Hub (hold reset button down for 30 seconds), the MyCloud worked fine after the Hub reset without any messing around with any port settings, and is still working fine today - nearly a year on :-)
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.

All Replies
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

A WD MyCloud does work ok with a Hub3, but like you I had a bit of trouble at the start.

For a start, I would remove any DCHP reservations you have put in the Hub or in the MyCloud for the MyCloud, then restart the MyCloud and maybe Hub as well. Hopefully this will sort the IP mess OK.
With my NAS's I have set the DCHP reservations on the NAS's themselves and not on the Hub, also I've set them high out the way of anything else, eg: 192.168.0.80 and then 81, 82 ect.

On the ports/upnp side, I had trouble with the internet ports no working on the MyCloud, the only thing what solved that for me - was a factory reset of the Hub (hold reset button down for 30 seconds), the MyCloud worked fine after the Hub reset without any messing around with any port settings, and is still working fine today - nearly a year on :-)
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
Bodes
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that advice I've followed it through and...

It seems to have done the trick with the ports. I have managed to set a static IP (I've used 192.168.0.2 though but will change it if it becomes a problem) and we'll see how we go? Restarting BOTH the Hub and the NAS was key. Although I reset the Hub several times I only did a NAS restart once and obviously at the wrong time. When I restarted the NAS the ports issue sorted itself and Cloud Sharing started working again and I was able to get into Twonky again to set up sharing folders.

As an aside do you use Twonky? Do you have any problems with it losing the shared folders setup? I don't have all my music (around 40k files in alphbetical folders) in one folder and have had problems in the past when the NAS did a rescan, rebuild or as has been more frequent our broadband has gone down it lost all my shared folders. I've set it to only do manual rescans. Do you have any other advice on using twonky with a HUB 3?

Thanks again for some good advice. 

Cheers Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Good to hear it looks like the IP/ports is sorted now :-)

Twonky is running with my music, but I don't actually use it much at all, but I have not noticed any problems when I have looked. I use my phone mostly with Bluetooth using Google Play Music.

The way my music is in my shared music folder:
Barry White (folder) > Greatest Hits (folder) > then the mp3's for that Album.

For Compilation albums, I have:
Compilations (folder) > Now 24 > then the mp3's for that Album.
Bodes
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

That's how I have my music set up however I have artists in a layer deeper A-Z folders and extra folders for compilations, soundtracks etc but when the NAS loses connection it loses the shares set up on Twonky. Without the twonky A-Z folders it cant find the files without the shares. Your files being one level up a file structure seems to make all the difference to the default settings being able to find the files.

Looks like I am too ordered which is as I suspected. Its twonky not the NAS that loses the shares.

Thanks again

Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
boasty929
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Teabag.. Have just got my new "super-hub 3" and gone to 300mbps broadband. It is quite frankly very, very disappointing - we do not get anywhere near 300 - ever!! also since the new hub has gone in the my cloud is slow and drops out every day.

just checking - does a factory reset (of the my cloud) have any effect on the data stored on the device or do you have to move it off first.... just checking before i try you "fix"

cheers - Mark

0 Kudos
boasty929
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Teabag,

I have just got my super hub 3 and gone to 300 mpbs broadband. it has been very disappointing so far with speeds still very low..

the main problem is though that my "My Cloud" has stopped working and keeps dropping out. I was going to try your solution but just wanted to check about the factory reset on the drive first... does factory resetting it affect the personal data stored on it - or do you have to copy and move this first??

any advice would be great thanks - Mark

0 Kudos