Menu
Lasagne101
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Moving to Virgin without cancelling other ISP

Hello,

I've signed up for Virgin and waiting for the installation.

I've been told that I can cancel within 14 days if I'm not happy with the service. What I want to do is not cancel with BT and wait if it pans out. And if not, cancel it and keep using BT as if nothing's happened.

Do you think this is possible? Because I'd like to keep my old number too. Customer rep told me it would be possible but she also told me they had trouble in finding my phone number so I'm not sure this is because it's in use already.

Wondering if anyone's switched to be Virgin without cancelling their existing ISP contract prior to the installation.

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Moving to Virgin without cancelling other ISP

This is because you have told Virgin you are moving to their service, & they have hence put in a number port request to BT. As you want to run both services in parallel, you set Virgin up seperately not as a change, so you need to contact Virgin & drop the request to port your number. I would also contact BT & withdraw any cancellation. Don't worry about doing this, as VM will set up a seperate telephone line/number, & you can then ask Virgin to port your BT number once you are happy.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

All Replies
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes, Virgin uses a completely different line, so you can have Virgin and BT (or any BT line based ISP) running at the same time.

Lasagne101
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Excellent. 

Is this the case even if I want to keep my current phone number?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you port your BT Line number to Virgin it will end your contract with BT and thus also stop your BT broadband. 

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
Lasagne101
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hmm I see. Thanks for that.

It's not very important to keep that number actually.

If I don't keep it, I can have them both running and active at the same time though, right? The only bottleneck, so to speak, is the phone number?

0 Kudos
Lasagne101
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I just got an email from BT saying: "Another service provider has told us you want to move your phone line and broadband over to them on xx-xxx-2017. So we're taking this as notice that you want to stop these services with us on that date."

And apparently they are going to charge me for it:

"Charges for ending your contract early

You won't have to pay any charges for ending your contract.

Charge for stopping your broadband
You'll need to pay a £31.00 charge for us to stop your broadband."

It sounds funny to me that I don't have to pay for ending the contract but I have to pay £31.00 for stopping the broadband. What's the difference?

Anyway, I guess my hope of keeping both for a brief period of time while I test Virgin is over now. Hope it really provides 200Mbps connection and good TV channels so that I don't have to look back.

Thanks for your answers.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

This is because you have told Virgin you are moving to their service, & they have hence put in a number port request to BT. As you want to run both services in parallel, you set Virgin up seperately not as a change, so you need to contact Virgin & drop the request to port your number. I would also contact BT & withdraw any cancellation. Don't worry about doing this, as VM will set up a seperate telephone line/number, & you can then ask Virgin to port your BT number once you are happy.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

Lasagne101
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, that sounds like a good plan.

0 Kudos