Menu
xXBadness185Xx
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Moving the Router to somewhere else

To enhance the speed and reliability of my connection directly to the router. I would like to know if I can request an engineer to remove the current coaxial cable port on the wall and move it upstairs where the router should sit. Please mention any charges I would have to pay to do this.

Thanks,
Leon

Thanks,
Leon
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Moving the Router to somewhere else

There's a fixed charge of £99 to do any work like this

0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 11 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

i think thats too long i think powerline will do for you it does the same job as wired to the router it use the house wires its not bad for £50 to do and its plugin and play then messing around getting virgin media out to move it

Using VIVID 350 Optical Fibre, Player TV, Talk Weekends

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There's a fixed charge of £99 to do any work like this

0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

what dannylau said it will cost that if there is no fault or get outside lan cable cat6 two holes to clips for the connection would cost a bit cheaper then moving the router cost about £99 but doing it your self is £63.99 for this and get the right codes to go were on the internet no need to a election for this becuse i did mine with cat5e but inside wire becuse i live in a flat

0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

by doing this what i said and no need to move the router ^^^^^

0 Kudos
xXBadness185Xx
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Wouldn't this decrease the efficiency a little? Id much rather move my router upstairs to where my computer sits. I am not moving my computer downstairs either.

Thanks,
Leon
0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

no it will not decrease the efficiency if its cat6 outside wire it can handle the top speeds and it will be wired up to your router you can have max of 150 ft of wire and it will not decrease the efficiency what do you want to do pay £99 for virgin media to move it or pay £63.99 for all the stuff you need if you had a fault with the router you can change the pos of the router no chance to your bill its up to you get that £99 change on your account to move a the router upstair. or get powerline what cost £50 from virgin media with plug on them and you can go wired that way

0 Kudos
xXBadness185Xx
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thats the problem. My router is like a few hundred meters apart form one need of the house to the other

Thanks,
Leon
0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

a few hundred meters? how big is your house??

0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

if you have a space plug around were the router is you can go powerline which cost alot less and no need for someone to come out and move it if you have space plug near the pc you can go that way and it will be wired up if you get one that can handle the 1.0 Gbps thats whats out right now with motherboards i know there is noning can handle more atm and the router wired connections is with hubs you can't go any faster then that untill internet providers bring out alot more faster connections but they working on stable of the connections before they bring out alot more faster then you are getting to the router but it is up to you if you want it moved it will cost you £99 from virgin media. powerlines cost £50 with a plug on it with that fast connection or get outside wire cat6 which cost £63.99 if you know how many meters is it from rouer to your pc you can get the inside wire a very long one there is 2 ways to do this without effecting your connection my tip is not to buy CABLE for virgin media connections becuse it can effect the power levels on how long the cable is thats why i don't recommand this way if you want it moved by virgin media they have to chack the power levels and any bosters they put on to keep it in working range so 3 ways you can get around this is powerlines, outside cat6 wire or get virgin media to move it router closer to your pc this can cost up to £99 to do your chose in it not me its you xXBadness185Xx

0 Kudos
xXBadness185Xx
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Just a normal 3 floor house with a few extensions and the router in in the extension. My computer is on the middle floor on the opposite side of the house.

Thanks,
Leon
0 Kudos