Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7 (543 Views)

Moving my router into the loft

[ Edited ]

I want to move my router into the loft from a downstairs room. Running the cable from the box outside, up the side of the house and into the loft. What kind of cable do i use? 

thx 

EDIT: im on fibre 200

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 7 (1,048 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by kezzaman
3 weeks ago

Re: Moving my router into the loft

You are not allowed to do alterations to coax cable yourself. You need to book engineer to do this for you and rebalance check the local cables properly, and this will cost you unless you are calling out to install some new service.

That's why people are usually leaving router where it is, and instead run Ethernet cables to it (this you can do it yourself, usual Cat 6 cable will do).

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

All Replies
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 7 (1,049 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by kezzaman
3 weeks ago

You are not allowed to do alterations to coax cable yourself. You need to book engineer to do this for you and rebalance check the local cables properly, and this will cost you unless you are calling out to install some new service.

That's why people are usually leaving router where it is, and instead run Ethernet cables to it (this you can do it yourself, usual Cat 6 cable will do).

Superuser
Message 3 of 7 (525 Views)

The standard fee for relocation is £99 as riding the flow said possible run Ethernet cable into loft and attach a switch this will give you mutli Ethernet ports and wireless a decent access point is around £50
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7 (513 Views)

thx for the info

0 Kudos
Well-informed
Message 5 of 7 (501 Views)

I know BT and Sky will not work in lofts for health and safety reasons. I would guess Virgin Media would be the same. Ethernet to your loft sounds the best bet.
0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 6 of 7 (441 Views)

Why do you want to move your router into the loft? If it's to provide better WiFi to the first floor, you can instead install an access point or perhaps a WiFi range extender or HomePlug.

0 Kudos
Well-informed
Message 7 of 7 (254 Views)

Lofts can be subject to extreme temperature and humidity variation so not the best environment for most electronics.
0 Kudos