Menu
Highlighted
oldguyvm
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Moving external cables (Again!)

I realise this has been asked before - sorry!

I have the BB & phone cables entering the front of the house in the brown box, the phone goes into the house at this point, the coax goes around the house to another brown box and splits - one feed into the living room into the white box, the other split continues up the house on the outside then into a bedroom and another white box.

So I want the coax cable to run from the first brown box to just one white box in a 'network' cupboard in one of the bedrooms, and discard all the old external cabling.

From the first external brown box there is a clear route under the suspended ground floor and up to the bedroom cupboard, no kinks etc etc.

I have no issue paying Virgin the call out fee, I might run a HD100 coax 'ready' for the engineer - if he uses that's his choice?

The question I have is simple - will the engineer run the cable in the clear route I provide? I guess when I book the call out the answer will be of course, but I've read many posts here that says they will only run coax externally on the house?

thanks!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Moving external cables (Again!)

probarbly is the best answer - tea/coffee and biscuits will help i would think - they may use any cable you put in but if not they can use that as a pull wire to get their cable in - you could give them a ring and see if they will drop a length of coax off - that way you have VM branded cable which you can run with no fear they will not use it

stay away from offshore if you ring - sure such things are not on their scripts 

Tony

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Moving external cables (Again!)

probarbly is the best answer - tea/coffee and biscuits will help i would think - they may use any cable you put in but if not they can use that as a pull wire to get their cable in - you could give them a ring and see if they will drop a length of coax off - that way you have VM branded cable which you can run with no fear they will not use it

stay away from offshore if you ring - sure such things are not on their scripts 

Tony
oldguyvm
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Moving external cables (Again!) - MODERATORS HELP??

Thanks for responding!

So can any of the Moderators help with organising the cable for me?

If not I will try calling at an appropriate time....

thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi oldguyvm,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

In regards to the re-location of the cabling, there is a fee of £99.00. 

To organise this you can contact our Customer Services team on either 150 free from a Virgin Media landline or 0345 454 1111.

Let us know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
tekmobile
Superfast
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Is there any technical reason virgin don't just supply the customer with prefixed lengths of cable to connect equipment from the wall box say 1m, 3m, 5m for a small fee

Many users just want to relocate equipment at a later date to say the other side of the room for various reasons like WiFi signal etc and only have a couple options

Make their own cable or purchase with unknown quality and reliability which is technically against your TOS
or pay £99 for a engineer visit

I understand why when it's external and requires moving the box

--------
I do not work for virgin media any opinions I have are my own
I will help out when possible but know that some information may be incorrect or out of date

If you find any post helpful don't forget to click the kudos button and mark answers as helpful as this may help other users with the same questions
0 Kudos
oldguyvm
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello,

I don't have an issue paying the £99, but I don't want to book this and the engineer turn up and refuse to run the cable internally.

Trying to speak to someone who understands I just want them to send me the external cable so I can route it under my floor for when the engineer comes, is seemingly impossible with Virgin customer services.

All I want is some cable....and it appears some people on here have managed to get some.

Is there anyone on the forum team can organise this for me, then I will book the engineer to come and connect up the ends, and remove the obsolete wall boxes I no longer want.

I won't be touching the wall boxes myself,

Looks like I just might have to catch a van driving by and bung him a few £££ for some Virgin 'special' cable ? (I'm pretty certain Webro HD100 triple screened is better!!!)

thanks

0 Kudos
tekmobile
Superfast
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Webro HD100 is not better it's technically the same cable with no differences

--------
I do not work for virgin media any opinions I have are my own
I will help out when possible but know that some information may be incorrect or out of date

If you find any post helpful don't forget to click the kudos button and mark answers as helpful as this may help other users with the same questions