Menu
ps3mint
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Moved furniture - damaged coaxial cable

Hi all, had a move around of furniture and accidentally managed to damage the coaxial going into the router. Can I politely ask virgin for a replacement? Service now has gone intermittent.
Thanks
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Moved furniture - damaged coaxial cable

hiya @ps3mint welcome to the virginmedia community forum, how long is this cable?, since it will be around 5+ days from the forum admins, could have a chat with customer services via 150 / 0345 454 1111 they might be able to send out a cable, since if requires engineer to do the work could be looking at standard call out fee of £99 this is the standard fee for non-faults.
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
ps3mint
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. I've phoned virgin and spoken to someone who I think was based in an overseas team. They claim they can't send a cable through and this requires an engineer. I'm really busy at the moment and can't have time off work for this, so as it seems OK at the moment will probably leave things as they are!
0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

honstly you live once and yes you can have time off work if you wanted to get this sorted out.
if you have any holidays left from last year use them before you get new ones

Using VIVID 350 Optical Fibre, Player TV, Talk Weekends

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
0 Kudos
redridinghood
Up to speed
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

what a stupid bleeping answer.you be better going on ebay only cost you couple quid and not days wage the cable should have the specs on the side tiny black writing

0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

i won't risk it getting from ebay you need shelded cable it is very rare and depends on how long you want the cable too

0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

if you get the wrong cable from ebay you will mess up your own power levels and the network too

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

DavidJWalker wrote:
i won't risk it getting from ebay you need shelded cable it is very rare and depends on how long you want the cable too
All Coaxial cable is shielded, all coaxial cable has an inner conductor surrounded by a tubular surrounding shield. However not all Coaxial cables are the same.. so be careful..
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi ps3mint,

I would advise against sourcing your own coaxial cable for this. If anything goes wrong as a result, requiring us to step in, you could find yourself landed with a nasty bill.

The best option is for an engineer to assess the damage and replace the cable (or crimp it if the length permits). If you do change your mind about this please reply to my PM (purple envelope icon, top right of page) and I'll schedule an appointment for you.

Welcome to our Community by the way Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos