Menu
Balberyth
Tuning in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Modem Mode - Changed Network Port from 4 to 1!

So, my Virgin Hub 3, in Modem Mode, decided to reboot itself earlier this afternoon, presumably after doing an update. After it'd rebooted itself I lost all internet access. Bizarrely my router wouldn't get any kind of DHCP address from the Virgin Hub, neither an internal one or an internet facing one.

So, one at a time, I rebooted both devices, neither activity achieving anything. I phoned Virgin, spoke to a lady who first said "you know you have it in modem mode?" then said she'd have to reset it before doing anything. However, before doing that, she then announced she'd found some problems in my area and they were definitely being looked into. So, not worth doing anything more at that point.

A couple of hours later, I rang the info line just to get an update and was told there were no problems in my area. So, I rang the main line and spoke to someone again. This time I was told there were definitely no issues in my area and they couldn't understand why I was told otherwise.

Lots of tests later they'd again only help me if I reset the modem and put it back into router mode, which I reluctantly did. In that mode it worked, but I was then left to it as they now seem to offer no support at all if you have it in modem mode.

I configured it back to modem mode and again lost access. However, this time I did some more playing around and fixed it myself.

My Virgin Hub has changed which LAN port is used when the device is in Modem Mode!!!

My router had been connected to Port 4 on the Virgin Hub, something which I've never changed, but since whatever happened earlier this afternoon it only works in modem mode if I connect my router to Port 1.

Thanks Virgin.......

0 Kudos
zvonok
Superfast
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Modem Mode - Changed Network Port from 4 to 1!

In Modem mode the SH3 ONLY works in PORT 1 - that is: the one at the bottom of the 4Ports - nearest the power

...ZVNK ...
0 Kudos
Balberyth
Tuning in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply, but No.

I've just taken another look at the ports on the back of my Virgin Hub 3.0.  The port nearest the power & the co-ax cable is marked up as Port 4. This is the port which *used* to work for me in modem mode, until earlier today.

Since my Virgin Hub 3.0 rebooted itself around earlier today it is now the topmost port which is active in modem mode, the one marked on the back of my Virgin Hub 3.0 as port 1.

Either way, the active port on my Virgin Hub 3.0 in modem mode has changed today. Just thought I'd post in case anyone else had the same issue.

0 Kudos
zvonok
Superfast
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Mis-placed the numbering - my error --- why 4 worked in modem mode is a mystery ...?

Just to confirm when the Hub 3 is in Modem Mode, the only port that 'SHOULD' be working will be the one nearest to the incoming cable.

Cheers ...

...ZVNK ...
0 Kudos
Balberyth
Tuning in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Oh, I agree and earlier today the one nearest the incoming cable was the one which was working. This evening it's the port furthest from the incoming cable. I only posted here as this was quite so inexplicable. I'd have been banging my head against the wall for ages if not for a happy accident.

I'd never have thought the active port had changed, but while back in router mode I connected my laptop to the top port (furthest from the incoming cable). It just happens that I hadn't disconnected it one time after switching back to modem mode. Bizarrely, despite being connected to what we all know is the wrong port for modem mode, it received an external internet address via the Virgin Hub 3.0.

Connect my router to the bottom port, closest to the incoming cable, where it had always been connected - no IP address.
Connect my router to the top port, furthest to the incoming cable, where it had never been connected before - external IP address.

Can't explain it, but I've restarted everything several times now and that top port is the one remaining active in modem mode.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Should not be to hard to have the firmware allow any one port active and disable the others for modem mode to work.

what firmware is your hub 3 on?
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

What firmware version do you have? I'm on 9.1.116v modem mode, 2nd port from the bottom.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
Balberyth
Tuning in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Same version, 9.1.116V.

I'd think I was just going mad, except it stopped working after rebooting itself around 4pm today. I hadn't even touched the hub at that point, so there is absolutely zero chance I'd moved the port my router was connected to.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Summat wrong with the Hub 3 then would be my guess. Somewhere in the forum a VM Bod said that the Hub 3's modem mode was "designed" to allow any port to be used (whereafter the other ports would be closed). Seemed like slack programming to me.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Balberyth wrote:

Same version, 9.1.116V.

I'd think I was just going mad, except it stopped working after rebooting itself around 4pm today. I hadn't even touched the hub at that point, so there is absolutely zero chance I'd moved the port my router was connected to.

You can use any ONE port at a time on the Hub 3 in modem mode, with the current firmware version. Once a device has been assigned to that port (like your 3rd party router in this case), the other ports are disabled. So if you switch ports while the hub is on it will seem like that is the only port that is working, but actually you have just self-assigned that port as the one you want to work with.

0 Kudos