Menu
timgil
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Manual Install (not sure if this is the right place to post this but cant see a manual install forum)

Hi

Can anyone provide me with any information on getting a manual installation of broadband and phone?   I can only buy online a quick setup self install which I would be completely ok with apart from the fact that the house I am having it installed in has no box.   It has previously had virgin media - the house has been empty for about 4 years after we moved out of it.  It has just been renovated and we are moving back in but the builders seem to have removed the boxes or something - there arent any.

I tried the online chat - but whoever I spoke to there as less than helpful and refused to give me any information on a manual install only told me to phone sales.   As I just want information at this point (and I am at work) I cant do that.   All I am after is general information about manual instalation, how to book it, how long I should expect to wait to have it installed etc.

One issue is that we are not currently living in the house - but are getting it ready to move in.  I am there all week next week but I suspect there is no way I can get a manual install done in that time (please tell me I am wrong).

Anyone got any experience that might be useful, or any VM Staff here want to wade in on this one?  (after the abysmal web live chat it would be nice to have something useful).

Cheers

Tim

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Manual Install (not sure if this is the right place to post this but cant see a manual install forum)

I'm pretty sure your going to be out of luck. Unless you have an internal box you can screw the cables they supply you with to then you're going to be unable to install.

They will need to send out an engineer to install the internal box and repull any cables if necessary.

timgil
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Manual Install (not sure if this is the right place to post this but cant see a manual install forum)

That's my point stevedh2,

I know I will need an engineer (that's what I meant by "manual" install but realise that was confusing.  I meant an "engineer install") - but there is no option to order with an engineer installation - ONLY self install.  The boxes will need putting back.   I think the cables themselves are likely now under the new floor.   As far as I remember there wasn't a proper box on the wall even when we had cable there before - I think we've had cable in before they put a proper box on - there was just the cable came in and a splitter.  I think that cable is now under the floor and an engineer will need to sort those out from the VM access point outside the house.

I suppose what I will have to do is go into a VM shop in Bradford tomorrow lunchtime and talk to someone - its pretty bad though that you cant order this online unless you can do it all yourself.  

0 Kudos
DaveM0
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Speak with the QS Team and request a manned installation. They'll be able to help you with this, it isn't unusual. If the cables have been previously in-place but removed an install charge may be applicable. 

----------
Area Field Technician (Service)
Any views expressed are those of my own and do not represent the views of Virgin Media.
0 Kudos