Menu
Notverytech
Tuning in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Letter from virgin media about Hub 3.

Hi everyone, hope this is right page to post this?

Long time Virgin Media Customer, have been happy with service until very recently, this post is not meant to be a rant, i'm reasonably calm as i post this, i have a question for some of you and also need to mention few concerns. I have been using computers for many years, but not wifi devices.

Received a letter telling me that at the end of April my older internet modem will stop working and i will need to order the free Hub 3. Spent over an hour trying to navigate the free 150 telephone number [ more about that in a moment ] and i am considering cancelling both internet and phone line with Virgin Media and switching to another provider, which would be a real shame.

The problem i have is this, i do not have any wifi devices at all, i use a ethernet cable with my older Pc's and actually prefer this. My computers and mobile phones are not that old but i have no need for wifi right now and some of the stories about this Hub 3 do not exactly fill me with confidence.

Not exactly sure what my current Virgin Media modem is, probably early version 1 Motorola, it works, no wifi but its fast enough for my needs, does not need firmware updates or any first time internet setup procedure, connect an ethernet cable to pc, turn it on and that is it.

Question for some of you more skilled

If the coaxial internet lead that is attached to my older modem is to be unconnected and connected to the new Hub 3,  how can this be a different internet signal? why can't i just continue to use my older modem until i have need for wifi and a new modem?

Virgin Media claims the Hub 3 is free but there is a £14.99 charge, not happy about that at all, i only found out about the charge after speaking to someone at Virgin Media, nothing in the letter.

Finally, i do feel Virgin Media is losing its way, the 150 free call system struggles with older land line telephones, you can actually get in a never ending loop, took ages to find a forwarding address to write [ sometimes writing is still the best option ] and i do feel the company is beginning to forget the golden rule that each and every customer is important. I must also say, for a communication company, it can be frustratingly difficult to actually communicate with them.

I feel i am being forced to have this Hub 3, when i do not need it at this moment. Sometimes you need to move with the times, but i'm not sure about this in this instance.

Any suggestions.

Helpful Answers
Notverytech
Tuning in
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Letter from virgin media about Hub 3.

Thanks for replies.

The letter i received from Virgin Media clearly states Upgrade For Free, however,  when i spoke to the receptionist she told me there would be a £14.99 charge and a further £14.99 if an engineer was needed to call round, not the nicest way to treat a customer of 10 years.

My main concern with the Hub 3 is all the negative feedback and first time set up when all i want to do is use one ethernet lead from the modem to my pc.

If you have read my other post here regarding using wifi only with the Hub 3 you'll know i have cancelled the delivery of a new Hub 3. Need to think about this, there are other options and other companies today. Shame though, i really do like Virgin Media and up until this recent episode i was more than happy with them.

Appreciate the replies and advice some of you have given.

mossman
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you are prepared to move your business elsewhere, then you have nothing to lose by using this as  a bargaining tool in order to get the Hub3 free of any delivery or installation charges. You need to get through to the retentions team (which I think is via the "moving house" and then "thinking of leaving us" option).

Having said that, I still think that any forced upgrade (VM indicating that you have to change the modem to continue to receive a service rather than you simply calling up to get the modem changed because you want a new one) should be completely free of any delivery charges. Indeed, this is something taht you could raise with the retentions team anyway.

0 Kudos
zvonok
Superfast
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I would phone and contest the activation fee AND the installation fee if you don't want self-install.
Having said that self-install is relatively easy if it is followed precisely.
Mossman is spot-on in the advice to de-select the wifi modes if you don't need them..

You must remember that many many SH3 hubs are connected monthly with no problems - people only come to the forum when there is a problem so 100% of problems on the Forum but NOT 100% failed SH3 installations ...
...ZVNK ...
0 Kudos
MasterofArts
Dialled in
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

What I like about VM is they are human and from what I can remember severely underpaid for the job they do especially the guys that where in the RHL office if they still have the contract.

Give you an example you can call them up and you will go through to a well experienced member of the staff that knows the stuff inside out and actually cares about customer.

You could call 5 mins later and get an idiot that doesnt care.

I like that though because id rather speak to a human thats no sitting bursting for a jobby as they have ran out of toilet time due to strict K.P.I set by managers.

So what im trying to say is if you are getting no where with someone, call back and try retention team as they have more jedi powers to be a bit flexible. Rather than the monkey before that can only read out whats on their screen and really doest have the brain capacity to care..... Ohhh computer says no effect lol.

May the force be with you,

MOA.

HUB 2ac in modem mode, Netgear R7800 Router, a wee switch & NAS.

My Broadband Ping - MOA VM Monitor
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 13 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Notverytech wrote:

Once again, appreciate all replies and advice.

Not going to do anything for now, at least not until March, After a little research i now have other options, cheaper too, would mean cancelling with Virgin Media........ 

FWIW entirely empathise with retaining your existing BB Tier on the basis of if it aint broke(and still satisfies your requirements) then don't fix it,  unless offered a free upgrade.  

From a VM perspective then the proportion of legacy Docsis1/2 SACM means running their CMTS in mixed mode (D3 and D1) is inefficient and therefore it is in their interest to promote a "free" upgrade rather than loose a legacy customer potential (to upgrade in future).

That basically entitles you to migrate from your legacy 10/1L or 20/2L D1 SACM Tier to D3 entry SF50/3 Tier at no expense to yourself. Unfortunately since 2010 when last VMDG280 (D1/2) Hub were issued for 20XL customers then VM were actively migrating legacy D1 Tiers to D3 infrastructure with f.o.c upgrades.  Of course ALL ISP's retain the right to give 30days notice and change their subscription fees or release the user from any penalty early termination fees but it's not in their interest to prematurely disuade a loyal customer froe"!m continuing to contribute towards shareholders dividend and reduce their "churn rate"! 

Personally like you I resisted and kept my 10/1L Tier via D1/2  Ambit256 SACM until 4Q2012 when Retentions offered me 30/2mps Tier and  free SH1 Hub/Quick Install for same/less subscription. 

Personally I would suggest it's worth continuing negotiating with Retentions (defintely NOT Level1 call centre) by ringing near to 0800 am for UK agent 150/0345 454 1111 option 5/4 or similar "Thinking of Leaving us") and assertively but politely suggesting that migrating you to minimum D3 entry Tier f.o.c allows you to evaluate the service for potential future upgrade above 50/3 Tier at minimum expense to VM or otherwise they risk loosing a long term customer!

Keep researching alternatives as you (and after 18years as also myself)are still doing annually!  Smiley Wink

Good luck.

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
0 Kudos

All Replies
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Your old standalone cable modem isn't compatible with DOCSIS 3, which is the system Virgin Media is moving everyone to (the vast majority are already on it). As a result your old modem will cease to work in the near future. Think of it like the TV digital switch-over: the signal still came through the same cable but would no longer work on analogue TVs, so you needed a new TV or box to continue watching.

The Hub 3 can be put in to "modem mode" so it acts like your current modem, with no WiFi or routing functions, if that's what you prefer. 

mossman
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I am aware that VM do charge a delivery/installation charge under certain circumstances, but in this case where you are being advised that the modem must be replaced in order to continue the service, I doubt that they would charge which could be why there is no mention of it in the letter).

As for the Hub3 itself, a number of the issues have been ironed out, whilst others affect those who are gamers, or have less than simple wireless networks. It seems that you are unlikely to fall into those categories.

The previous poster did mention running the Hub3 in modem mode, but you would need a separate router too for the added ports, the routing functionality and safety of NAT/firewall functions (only one port is active on a modem mode Hub3). Far easier to simply turn off the two wireless networks on the Hub3 if that's all you need.

Notverytech
Tuning in
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for replies.

The letter i received from Virgin Media clearly states Upgrade For Free, however,  when i spoke to the receptionist she told me there would be a £14.99 charge and a further £14.99 if an engineer was needed to call round, not the nicest way to treat a customer of 10 years.

My main concern with the Hub 3 is all the negative feedback and first time set up when all i want to do is use one ethernet lead from the modem to my pc.

If you have read my other post here regarding using wifi only with the Hub 3 you'll know i have cancelled the delivery of a new Hub 3. Need to think about this, there are other options and other companies today. Shame though, i really do like Virgin Media and up until this recent episode i was more than happy with them.

Appreciate the replies and advice some of you have given.

mossman
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you are prepared to move your business elsewhere, then you have nothing to lose by using this as  a bargaining tool in order to get the Hub3 free of any delivery or installation charges. You need to get through to the retentions team (which I think is via the "moving house" and then "thinking of leaving us" option).

Having said that, I still think that any forced upgrade (VM indicating that you have to change the modem to continue to receive a service rather than you simply calling up to get the modem changed because you want a new one) should be completely free of any delivery charges. Indeed, this is something taht you could raise with the retentions team anyway.

0 Kudos
zvonok
Superfast
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I would phone and contest the activation fee AND the installation fee if you don't want self-install.
Having said that self-install is relatively easy if it is followed precisely.
Mossman is spot-on in the advice to de-select the wifi modes if you don't need them..

You must remember that many many SH3 hubs are connected monthly with no problems - people only come to the forum when there is a problem so 100% of problems on the Forum but NOT 100% failed SH3 installations ...
...ZVNK ...
0 Kudos
Notverytech
Tuning in
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Impressed by the prompt advice here.

Nearly forgot, the second receptionist i spoke to at Virgin Media when cancelling delivery of the Hub 3 did actually say that maybe the signal to my older modem may not be turned off in April, however, it was not said in any definite way, but i do wonder whether she knew more than she was letting on?

Just realised that i can tick some of your replies helpful, have now done so, even mistakenly ticked one of my own.

Actually all replies have been helpful.

0 Kudos
MasterofArts
Dialled in
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

The SH3 will be great for normal home use after the bugs are ironed out from what I have been reading.

What I noticed was that most people who are unhappy with SH3 are gamers due to the puma chipset latency issues... hence why I am not taking the SH3 on myself. If I wasnt a gamer I would have ordered one tbh as I was previously interested to see what it could do in both hub and modem mode.

MOA.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Normal kit changes do attract the £14.99 fee, however where Virgin Media are requiring the kit change, then there are no charges.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
MasterofArts
Dialled in
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

What I like about VM is they are human and from what I can remember severely underpaid for the job they do especially the guys that where in the RHL office if they still have the contract.

Give you an example you can call them up and you will go through to a well experienced member of the staff that knows the stuff inside out and actually cares about customer.

You could call 5 mins later and get an idiot that doesnt care.

I like that though because id rather speak to a human thats no sitting bursting for a jobby as they have ran out of toilet time due to strict K.P.I set by managers.

So what im trying to say is if you are getting no where with someone, call back and try retention team as they have more jedi powers to be a bit flexible. Rather than the monkey before that can only read out whats on their screen and really doest have the brain capacity to care..... Ohhh computer says no effect lol.

MOA.

0 Kudos