Menu
Reply
  • 120
  • 1
  • 35
bambamboyo
Up to speed
241 Views
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Lazy engineers

Why oh why oh why can the lazy technicians, engineers or whatever they are called nowadays not be bothered to shut and lock the cabinets after they have been in them?

What is so hard about closing the doors and locking it?  The cabinet that I am connected to is constantly left unlocked or half locked at the bottom only with the door either loose or flapping about at the top.  Most of the cabinets on the village are half knackered anyway, and none of them ever seem to be locked properly.

I never see BT cabinets like this, they always manage to look after their cabinets - why are the VM engineers so lazy?  If they can't lock it, then why can they not arrange for it to be looked at and repaired if required?

I work from home and need a reliable and dependable connection, and having cabinets open to the elements, vandalism or kids fingers doesn't give me much faith in the network.  Reporting an open cabinet doesn't seem to do any good, and if it gets locked it is only a matter of weeks before it seems to be open again.  The last time the cabinet was missing an entire door I had to get a local councillor involved to get it fixed.

This is in the RG4 part of Reading.  Why can this not be sorted?

 

  • 8.4K
  • 413
  • 989
jb66
Alessandro Volta
234 Views
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lazy engineers

You cannot remove a key from a cabinet unless you lock it so its nothing to do with laziness, did you consider maybe the locks are broken?

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 120
  • 1
  • 35
bambamboyo
Up to speed
229 Views
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lazy engineers

Would that not be a good time for the cabinet to be arranged to be repaired then?  It is possible to lock the cabinet without a key at all, so they can't be making much effort.

Besides, if they can't remove the key until it is locked, then I'd expect to see the key still in the lock, which it is not, so by your logic they haven't tried to lock it.

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 3.51K
  • 203
  • 982
Sololobo
Wise owl
227 Views
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lazy engineers


jb66 wrote:

You cannot remove a key from a cabinet unless you lock it so its nothing to do with laziness, did you consider maybe the locks are broken?


From the OP's post, "If they can't lock it, then why can they not arrange for it to be looked at and repaired?"

 




It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Reply
  • 8.4K
  • 413
  • 989
jb66
Alessandro Volta
199 Views
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lazy engineers


Sololobo wrote:

jb66 wrote:

You cannot remove a key from a cabinet unless you lock it so its nothing to do with laziness, did you consider maybe the locks are broken?


From the OP's post, "If they can't lock it, then why can they not arrange for it to be looked at and repaired?"

 


Have you ever tried to report a broken cab before?  Technicians report it to the same people the Mods on here do.

 

Here is an example

 

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Street-Cabinet-Door-Left-Open/m-p/2439675#M1184982

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 8.4K
  • 413
  • 989
jb66
Alessandro Volta
198 Views
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lazy engineers


bambamboyo wrote:

Would that not be a good time for the cabinet to be arranged to be repaired then?  It is possible to lock the cabinet without a key at all, so they can't be making much effort.

Besides, if they can't remove the key until it is locked, then I'd expect to see the key still in the lock, which it is not, so by your logic they haven't tried to lock it.


The point is, to remove the key you have to put the key to the lock position, if they are open with no keys in it, it has nothing to do with laziness its down to the cab being broken.  It takes more effort not locking the door

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 120
  • 1
  • 35
bambamboyo
Up to speed
189 Views
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lazy engineers

The mechanism was OK.  Not sure why the original technician couldn't have managed to lock it, he must of had the key to open it in the first place.  It's hardly an effort to push the doors shut and turn the key.

It's locked now anyway, so problem solved (for now).

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 120
  • 1
  • 35
bambamboyo
Up to speed
142 Views
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lazy engineers

And again today the cabinet has both doors wide open in the rain!  Seems to be left open every 2 weeks or so.

maybe VM can just send me a key so I can keep locking it since their engineers don't seem capable 

the lock mechanism is all bent now anyhow.

 

sod it. If it gets trashed VM can replace the whole thing!

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 32
  • 1
  • 1
Mirr
On our wavelength
102 Views
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lazy engineers

LOL It sounds so depressing....

They cannot even do this simple thing ? 

So how we can trust their "Support" ?

So who we can trust in VM ?

It is so confusing...