Menu
Frankj
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Just moved router, check downstream/upstream values

Hi

Currently on 50mb download speed package on a Superhub 2

I just moved my router within the same room but used a longer coax cable( used to be attached to Virgin TV) I checked downstream/upstream values before doing the move and wonder if someone can tell me if the new ones are  acceptable, I'm no IT guy but changing a cable is not brain surgery :-)

Before the move Downstream Power Level (dBmV) ranged from -1.7  through to -1.94

Upstream was 54.75 on US-1 column and 55.00 on US-4 column, columns US-2 and 3 were N/A

AFTER the move Downstream (dBbMV) changed to varying from 0.71 to 1.09 to 0.68 in the DS-7 column.

Upstream level 51.25 on US-1 and 4 columns

I suspect there has been a slight improvement on the upstream but reason I ask about upload is I seen mentioned somewhere that upstream should be below 50.

Download speed seems ok using Speedtest.net bu Ookla online check

Thanks

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Just moved router, check downstream/upstream values

Upstream is supposed to be 51max, your slightly out, but the move has made the signal better
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Frank,

Yes the move does seem to have improved both Downstream (which is well within spec) as well as Upstream although this does remain at the upper limit (51dBmV) of what is acceptable.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

What they said.

51 is okayish. But i would be happier below that . If you experience dropouts or other odd symptoms, its those upstream power levels. 54 is the limit AFAIK

And yeah it is a slight improvement after the move.

0 Kudos
Frankj
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the quick responses guy's, how or what should I look at to improve on the upstream values ?

I'm not sure if I can do anything at my end or if it is VM that sorts that. What is the average upstream value I should expect?

VM is dear enough these days, I like to make sure I'm getting my money's worth :-)

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Only thing you can do is remove any unused splitters or attenuators, other than that a tech would have to investigate
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Frankj, 

Thanks for the post! I am sorry to heart about your high upstream power levels, I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I have tested your connection from here however your Hub appeared to be offline. Is this due to it being switched off from your end? If so, please switch it on and reply to me here at a time when it will be on and available for testing.

If it is not offline due to being switched off from your end, then an engineer will need to attend and investigate this further, I will send you a PM (purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required in order to proceed with booking an engineer. Please respond t me there and I'll get this sorted for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos