Menu
lt8480
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Issue N19

Hi, we're unable to connect in the N19 area.

Each time we get in touch with Virgin we are told that it will be fixed "tomorrow by 4:30pm", and then the next day it still not fixed and we ring again and told the next day and so on - this has now been ongoing for a week.

Similarly checking the service status website each day just says it will be fixed by 4:10pm the next day, and each day it just moves to the next day.

When I called again yesterday I was told categorically it would be fixed today - although now the service status checker now says tomorrow.

I can only conclude the service status website is useless, and support just regurgitate the same rubbish on the phone as no-one can explain what the issue is "in the area" or give an actual time it will be fixed.

Can anyone here give a better answer?

To make matters worse and general complaints about Virgin Media...

Support yesterday evening were completely useless:

- When I first rang at I was told the wait was 2mins so I stayed on the line, 20+ minutes later I finally got an answer.

- I was asked to do some checks at home, but explained I had had to leave the house as had been kept on hold for so long. Despite this I kept getting asked to do more checks throughout the call. (I don't think the person understood what I was explaining at any point).

- The checks seem largely irrelevant anyway as it is a known issue in the area so reconnecting equipment is obviously never going to solve it. Why were they wasting mine and their time?

- I kept getting told patronisingly "not to worry" even though I explained I wasn't "worried" I just wanted my connection to work and to get a definitive answer rather than keep being told wrongly it will be fixed "tomorrow" even though it never is. They didn't seem to understand that I had been told it would be fixed tomorrow (wrongly) multiple times already and just said it WILL be fixed tomorrow.

- I explained my main issue was in fact that I was having to use data through my phone at £6.50 per 250mb and so far had incurred £13 of costs. I was then put on hold for several minutes to calculate they would offer me a £5.18 credit on my account. I think a more reasonable offer would have been to waive my internet and line rental costs for the month. I asked for this and was told they can only calculate a daily refund for broadband costs. Of course this isn't helpful - as its impossible to get alternative service at £1 a day for a short period without a fixed contract? On a side note the only reason I have a line rental with Virgin is because they make you pay this (even though we don't use it as only using the cable internet - and they never even bothered to install a phone line).

So despite being told yesterday it would definitely be fixed today, the service status website is now saying tomorrow - do I have to ring again for 30minutes to get another £1 refund each day or will I automatically get a refund for the entire period whenever it eventually gets fixed?

Also, the hole in the street that appeared coincidentally with the internet issue has now been filled, I don't know if this is connected in anyway -  if it was I'm not impressed that it sat for about 4 days without anyone doing any work.

And why doesn't Virgin have any support/complaints email addresses? - it is clearly the easiest way to contact someone with a written record.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Issue N19

Hi it8480, 

Thanks for getting in touch! Let me start by giving you a warm welcome to our forum community! It's great to see so many new faces helping out around here.

I am sorry to learn of your connection issues, I apologise for any troubles incurred but I will do my very best to help resolve this for you.

I have run some tests from here and I noticed that you're only locking onto one upstream channel, this will cause some performance issues. I would need to arrange for an engineer to attend and carry out some further investigations.

I will send you a PM (purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required to proceed with making the booking. Please respond to me there and I'll get this sorted for you.

Take care,

Thanks,

Adam. 

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
lt8480
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Adam,

This problem is now over a week old. Thankfully it has been fixed in the meantime.

When I finally spoke to someone technical at Virgin and they confirmed the issue was over 100m of cable needed replacing in the street and admitted hundreds of people had been calling daily to complain when they checked the logs related to the fault - they said the fault registered would have been causing potentially thousands of people to have no internet, and thousands more would be slow in the surrounding area.

The hours leading up to the problem being fixed eventually involved half a dozen vans and several workmen turning up and feeding reels of cables under the street.

Could you please supply an email address where I can complain to Virgin as this does not appear anywhere on the virgin website as I would like to request reimbursement and compensation as by service has been supplied for only around 50% of the time this month.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi it8480, 

Thanks for responding.

I appreciate you letting me know that the problem was over a week old and has been fixed in the meantime, this is great! Just remember should you require any assistance in future then post back here on the forums and we'll gladly help out in any way we can.

With regards to any compensation, just give our customer service team a call on 151 free from a Virgin line or 0345 454 1111 from any other, once the relevant security measures have been completed they will be able to apply any credits necessary.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos