Menu
chappie
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Is there a backdoor to VM's broadband helpline

I have had a problem since August last year(2016) where
VM says I am using far more data than I am actually using.
I am constantly being informed that I am using an enormous amount of data that is way above my actual usage.
I have tried to contact someone in the organisation who will accept that there is a problem with VM, even the CEO's office. Any contact I have made says it's my problem because I don't know how much data I am using.
I do know how much data I am using.
Does anyone know of an email address or a phone number where I can contact
a VM employee who is not going to treat me as a know-nowt?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Is there a backdoor to VM's broadband helpline

Hello chappie

Welcome to our forum, it does sound like an interesting problem. We would happily take a look however personal broadband usage information is covered by Data protection so firstly we would need to pass a check. I will send you a forum private message to progress things.

Thank you

PS sorry chappie it looks like you may have forum private messages disabled, if you have and would like me to send you a message please would you enable them and reply in this thread, thanks Smiley Happy

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 16 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@chappie Ive pm'ed you Smiley Wink

Just to give you some perspective on the "Su not knowing about the package", we SU's are volunteers who give up our own time to help others on here. We all have different areas of expertise, and receive not a whole lot of information from VM.  So we only have experience of things we have experience of if you catch my drift... Ask me about Virgin Mobile packages and Id have no clue as I dont use/care about their services. Ive dealt with capped packages through my own personal circumstances- hope that clears it up for you... Smiley Happy

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

hiya @chappie the simple answer would be no, did they say how much data your using?, since its possible somebody has broke into your wifi connection and using a lot of traffic, you could check the connected devices by logging into the hub guide is on the sticker..
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
chappie
Joining in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paultechy,

What a shame. No backdoor. The super hub I have was installed three weeks ago after I threatened to leave virgin.

The wireless is switched off. There isn't an ethernet cable plugged in. I stopped using it on the first day of my new month(13th Feb)

The only data connection to the superheb is the coax leading to virgin's input to my house.

According to Virgin I have used 14gb data since Feb 13. I am using a mobile wifi unit to access the internet.

My problem is not with technology but not being able to discus my problem with an understanding person and this has been ongoing for 6 months.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

hiya, it would be around 5+ days for a forum admin to run some checks to see what your data usage is and check for any issues.
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello chappie

Welcome to our forum, it does sound like an interesting problem. We would happily take a look however personal broadband usage information is covered by Data protection so firstly we would need to pass a check. I will send you a forum private message to progress things.

Thank you

PS sorry chappie it looks like you may have forum private messages disabled, if you have and would like me to send you a message please would you enable them and reply in this thread, thanks Smiley Happy

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
chappie
Joining in
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hello Nicola,

Private messages now turned on. Sorry about delay. I didn't think I would

be getting any more replies.

I've just had an email from VM stating I've used 80% of my allowance, so before leaving VM for

good, I thought I would do a quick check here.

Chappie.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hello chappie

Thanks for getting back and enabling PMs, I notice that you have an engineer visit planned to investigate this issue so I do not wish to tread on other toes as it were, please let us know how that goes.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
chappie
Joining in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hello Nicola
The engineer has called and I now know what my situation is.
To recap...My tariff is 30Gb data at 20mB/s.

Before the engineer called I received an email from VM saying I had used 90% of my 30Gb allowance. This was followed by another email saying I had exceeded my limit and an extra 2Gb was added to my allowance.
I checked that the wireless was switched off on the super-hub and disconnected the ethernet cable and started to use my mobile wi-fi hotspot unit instead.
This mobile wi-fi unit allows me access to the internet through the 4G phone system at the same speed as my VM hub.

I still had £7.50 added to my account for exceeding 32Gb even though I wasn't using the hub. My account clearly says that I have used 30.68gb with the £7.50 shown at the side of it. Thank goodness for print screen.

I had a very good interview with the engineer. He checked the VM line to the super-hub. No errors or
faults. He has no explanation for the reported excess data usage. He could not say that I was right either. Which I think is fair because he is not here when all this is happening. He did say that looking
at my setup, he thought it was highly unlikely that I could possibly use 4Gb in a day, let alone 4Gb on three days running.
He suggested that the hub is constantly being updated and any data used to do is being put down to me.
This is just a possibility. A cynical friend has another suggestion, but I don't see why anyone would want to bother with a very small fish in a very large pond.

In the days of serial ports, I programmed computers to talk to each other, which included directly accessing the uarts with baud rate, bit rate and parity. I know about data and I know that I am right about my data usage. I cannot prove it because it's just me here without a creditable person(from watchdog?) to oversee the situation.
Obviously I cannot continue with what is happening, so with regret, I am leaving Virgin Media.
Having the threat of an extra £7.50 added to my account for excess data each month is not going to happen any more.

I can get a comparable tariff for my mobile wi-fi.

There is no need for you to have any more thoughts about my problem. There's no need for a reply either.
In a few days this problem will end. I am divorcing Virgin Media and won't be part of the community.

Thanks anyway for taking an interest, this is very much appreciated.

Chappie

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

My tariff is 30Gb data at 20mB/s?
You say you have a superhub?

VM cable services to not have a datacap.
What services are you using?
0 Kudos
chappie
Joining in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

My tariff is 30Gb data at 20mB/s
I have a superhub

VM cable services to not have an advertised datacap but they do have one for very low users who want to leave.
I am using VM cable services
0 Kudos