Menu
Bekki11
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Is it usual to install cable before my installation date? They've laid it to wrong side of block of flats

I have an installation date next week, yet arrived home today to find some cable has been laid under the grass - is this usual?

Problem is that it's to a block of flats and they've laid it round to the front but I live on the back of the building! It will be extremely difficult to run it to my flat from the front -I was planning to tell them to go round the back on installation day.

I tried to do online chat but they weren't very helpful and just told me to wait till installation date to see. I'm concerned that on installation date they'll turn up, say it's been laid wrong and that someone else needs to come out to fix it.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is it usual to install cable before my installation date? They've laid it to wrong side of block of f

Bekki11 wrote:

I have an installation date next week, yet arrived home today to find some cable has been laid under the grass - is this usual?

Yes

Problem is that it's to a block of flats and they've laid it round to the front but I live on the back of the building! It will be extremely difficult to run it to my flat from the front -I was planning to tell them to go round the back on installation day.

Usually a cable goes from the Omnibox (installed where the cable you've had installed meets the building) round the outside of the building.

I tried to do online chat but they weren't very helpful and just told me to wait till installation date to see. I'm concerned that on installation date they'll turn up, say it's been laid wrong and that someone else needs to come out to fix it.

Yeah 1st line support is pants.

Its nothing to worry about unless there's an obvious reason there is no external route from the area the cable has been laid to where a cable will enter YOUR property, round the outside of the building. In any case, the cable to the VM network goes via a service tee and HAS to go the way its been laid.

Hope that's some reassurance for you, if not, post back well pass it to staff to look at for you.

0 Kudos
Bekki11
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is it usual to install cable before my installation date? They've laid it to wrong side of block of f

Thanks so much for the quick reply -you've reassured me that it's not all gone wrong Smiley Happy

The green cabinet is right outside our boundary to the left of the building  -the grass runs round the front and back of building, so it would be just as easy to run to the back as the front, but as you say maybe there is indeed a reason why it's been run to the front that I hadn't thought of. I've not heard of an Omnibox -currently there's just a coil of cable laying flat on the grass near the building which comes up from under the grass, but I guess that gets attached to a box on the wall?

The engineer who comes for installation next week will, I presume, run the cable round the outside of the building right round to the back and then up to my first floor flat? Will this look a right mess or is it usually done neatly? I'm the first person to get it installed in the block, so don't want to be blamed for cables running everywhere and the garden being dug up again!

I wish Virgin Media would give better information on what to expect as it's confusing.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Bekki11 wrote:

Thanks so much for the quick reply -you've reassured me that it's not all gone wrong Smiley Happy

The green cabinet is right outside our boundary to the left of the building  -the grass runs round the front and back of building, so it would be just as easy to run to the back as the front, but as you say maybe there is indeed a reason why it's been run to the front that I hadn't thought of. I've not heard of an Omnibox -currently there's just a coil of cable laying flat on the grass near the building which comes up from under the grass, but I guess that gets attached to a box on the wall?

LOL you catch on fast, thats exactly what it is

The engineer who comes for installation next week will, I presume, run the cable round the outside of the building right round to the back and then up to my first floor flat? Will this look a right mess or is it usually done neatly? I'm the first person to get it installed in the block, so don't want to be blamed for cables running everywhere and the garden being dug up again!

Ive got a total of 5 points with associated cabling on the exterior of the property. Its all clipped in neatly and frankly unless you are up close and looking for it, you dont even see it. Thats what a GOOD install looks like.

I wish Virgin Media would give better information on what to expect as it's confusing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGsmzQzYZ58 Smiley Wink

0 Kudos