Menu
LB26988
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Internet very fast, very unreliable.

So I seem to be having the problem I used to have with Virgin at another address a couple of years ago. When it works its super fast but too often it'll lose connection for anywhere between 2 and 10 minutes. Done some searching and checked my logs, a few t3 timeouts but not enough to explain the total loss in connection I've been experiencing.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet very fast, very unreliable.

Hi there LB26988,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Sorry to read that you are experiencing intermittent broadband connection. I can imagine how annoying this must be.

From checking your connection, there is an SNR (signal to noise ratio) fault in your area which is causing intermittent connection. The reference number is F005080285 and has a review date of 21st February.

I also noticed that the downstream power levels are too high. Once the SNR fault has been closed down, I will check your connection again and if these are still an issue, we can arrange for an engineer appointment.

Will speak to you soon with an update

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
LB26988
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I appreciate the update, I'm unsure it's something you could answer but as this has been an issue for 2+ weeks now and could run as far as or even past the 21st of this month would I be entitled to a reduction on my bill. I've already had one reduction which I was happy with but that's when I had hoped the 1st engineer visit on 11/2/17 would have fixed the issue. Regards
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi there LB26988,

Thanks for getting back in touch.

In regards to the SNR fault, this has now been closed down as resolved, however the downstream power levels are too high and would require an engineer appointment. I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) to discuss this further.

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
LB26988
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media

Had 3 losses of connection tonight, that weirdly don't show on this BQM? Most recently my laptop wouldn't load any webpages via wifi and youtube on the playstation 4 stopped at the same time connected via ethernet, when doing a connection test on the PS4 it was a complete connection fail. This is after 2 engineer visits and 2 issues found and fixed with the cabinet on the street outside. Speeds last night dipped into under 1Mbps, I saw 150Kbps~ territory. Getting very annoyed with this now, Sky may have been 1/3rd of the speed but the reliability was faultless.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi there LB26988,

Thanks for getting back to me and posting your BQM graph, I appreciate it.

As you are testing via wireless, do you know if you get the same issue through wired?

Have you tried changing the wireless channel to see if that will improve the connection at all?

I've checked your line and the network, which has come back as fine with no errors. 

Let me know how you get on

Sam

0 Kudos
LB26988
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

As I say the PS4 was connected directly to the SH3 via ethernet and still suffered the same connection loss and speed drops.

I have to say since my last post I haven't witnessed any connection drops or huge speed drops only the usual peak time drops, however testing across a few different sites/apps my Jitter seems way too high. As much as 500+ last night. Another website that grades latency and jitter from A-F consistently scored my connection at D or F at 30 second intervals.

When I had first had VM installed the Jitter was 10-20, so it seems one problem has been cured but another persists.

Regards, Lee

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lee,

I appreciate the reply.

It's good to hear there has not been any further disconnections.

In regards to the jitter you mentioned, how are you monitoring this? Are you able to post the information so we can see or some trace routes to check it over please?

Speak soon

Sam

0 Kudos
LB26988
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sorry for the slow response, on the whole the connection has been better. I still see quite high ping and jitter but streaming and downloading works well enough.

However last night the Superhub 3 base light started flashing green and remained this way for around 45 minutes in total, even after I turned the power off for a couple of minutes in an attempt to fix it Here is a snapshot of my BQM in evidence.My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi LB26988, 

Thanks for getting in touch, I am sorry to see you have continued to have trouble with your connection. 

I have taken a look and I have can see your modem SNR is a touch on the low side. 

I would like to get an engineer out to correct this for you. I will pop you a PM to get this arranged.

Keep an eye out for the Purple Envelope, top right hand corner. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

0 Kudos