Menu
Morty500
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Internet outages (Broadband and Tivo) - seems to be happening once a week at present

Hello

I've been having random disconnections on my internet connection that I've had with you for about 2 years now. These have usually being quite intermittent - last one was about a month ago and it's happened a total of 5 times int he last 6 months (though if it's happening whilst I'm at work I wouldn't notice it) but just had it twice in the last 2 days. The entire connection on the router drops and takes anything from 2-5 minutes to come back up again. I've already done a reboot of the router and a full factory reset but this doesn't appear to have helped. The connection to the router is fine at the time (can ping it both on wired and wireless connections) but can't ping out to the internet for a few minutes.

I've checked the router logs and seeing the following:

VM_Errors_27122016.PNGVM_router_network_logs_27122016.PNG

Seems to be timing out trying to re-establish a connection when renewing the DHCP lease.

Obviously this is quite annoying - especially when streaming netflix and playing online games. 

Interestingly I've also noticed the TIVO box also does the same thing occasionally (usually once a week) - the internet connection light will start randomly blinking and netflix on there will stop working until it comes back on again. 

Any advice or will I need an engineer out to look a this one?

Regards

Andy

0 Kudos
wonkotsane
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet outages (Broadband and Tivo) - seems to be happening once a week at present

Downstream signal levels look ok. Do you get wireless dropping out but if you plug a cable in it's fine?

Massage an ego, click the kudos button. If someone answers your question, mark it as helpful.
Be nice, eat all your vegetables and keep your room tidy.
0 Kudos
Morty500
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet outages (Broadband and Tivo) - seems to be happening once a week at present

No, the wireless and wired connections are fine as I can reach the router (and local network) fine on both when the drop happens. The actual internet line drops out as when I log onto the router during the outage there's no WAN IP address and I can't ping any external IP such as google, opendns, etc. 

0 Kudos
wonkotsane
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The DHCP renew errors are almost certainly a red herring. The no ranging response errors suggest a problem connecting to the network. If your cables are all good and tight in the house I would call 150 for an engineer.

Massage an ego, click the kudos button. If someone answers your question, mark it as helpful.
Be nice, eat all your vegetables and keep your room tidy.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Morty500,

Thanks for posting!

I've taken a look at the details and I agree with wonkotsane; it would be a good idea to get a technician to take a look at this.

I've sent you a private message (purple envelope at the top right of your screen) so I can arrange an appointment for you.

Speak soon Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos