Menu
Wulfrune
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Internet fail, tech support fail, Virgin media fail.

I'm been having issues with my broadband for months now, months.  One day it might be good, the next day it's in the gutter. 
I was told by Virgin media that they were rewiring the area and that work would be complete by Feb, but it wasn't.  So I asked Virgin why I wasn't told, only to be told by them that they only tell the customers if anything changes IF they ask.  So I was told that all would be sorted by the beginning of April.

Friday 24th, the net goes bad, real bad.  high latency, little or no connection, drop outs on web pages, you know; the usual Virgin media stuff.  I called 150 and there was a pre-recorded starter message informing that that customers in my area could expect a loss of internet and TV and that it'd be fixed by 5 am Saturday morning.

6 am Saturday morning it was far from fixed, so I made my first call to tech support and got through to an Indian lady who's advice to me seemed fractured and confused, so I told her that I had zero confidence in what she was saying and ended the call. 1 hour later with the net still in the gutter, I tried again and got through to a helpful Indian guy called Danish. Whilst Danish was “helpful” and said all the right placating words, his actual advice was based around “removed” and designed to make me go away with the promise that “Everything will be alright with your connection in 3 days”.

I didn't believe him and seeing as I pay around £100 a month to Virgin media; I persisted. I called 150 again and spoke to a Welsh lady who was helpful, but wanted to point the finger of the issue being that I'd converted my Super Hub 2 to a modem and that I'd been using a brand new ASUS RT-AC66U as my router (you all probably know why I would have done that..... Concrete buildings and Super Hubs do not = Wi-Fi). So I disconnected my router and followed her instructions, and for a while; it seemed that we'd got to the route of the problem until I reconnected my router and produced EXACTLY the same results. At this time to net became stable and she assumed that the problem was fixed.

I was going to leave it at that, but I kept getting calls from 08000135333 (virgin Media) but, because Virgin can't protect me from spam calls, I've had to install a phone with Spam Guardian on it and they couldn't get passed it, so I rang 150 again to find out if they'd had some new insights and I spoke to another guy from Wales, however I was on my way out and he advised me to call in the morning.

Sunday 26th I called a very helpful guy called Gary and he had me go through several tests, one of them was to remove my router and go back to the Super Hub 2. These tests at that time showed zero packet loss and the assumption was made that the fault must lie in the new router. He told me to monitor my connection and formulate a conclusion over a few days. However, after the call ended it became abundantly clear that all was not well and I “CMD'd” another ping test which showed that even running just the Super Hub 2 my ping was losing around 30 to 40% of the ping to failed cons.

So I called 150 again and asked for Gary, but Jonathan wanted to deal with it. Honestly, Jonathan made me feel worst of all, it felt like that he was pointing the finger of blame towards me and a few times told me that I might “just have to live with it” it was like he was trying to find anyone else to blame other than Virgin Media. I rightfully informed him that Virgin Media doesn't give me this service for free and that I pay a LOT of money every month over the last 20 years for them to provide me with this service and that if his answer is “You'll just have to live with it” then I was out of here and that I wouldn't be prepared to pay Virgin money for a service that they're not providing. If the powers that be here get a chance to review the call, get a pen and paper and put a tick down every time that Jonathan said the word “Obviously”. Made sure that you have plenty of paper because he must have thought me stupid because of the countless times he said it.

So where are we now?

We have a “frogger” version of the internet, sometimes it connects, sometimes it doesn't. Jonathan thinks I should be happy with that and continue to pay Virgin Media.... I most strongly disagree.

Apparently, someone's going to call me Monday morning at 9 am, but given the fact that as long as I'm paying they'll be in no rush to fix my issue, I won't be holding my breath........ Obviously.

p.s.  I'm not here to make enemies or upset folks for no reason, I just feel that Virgin Media doesn't give a damn about me or my issues so long as they recieve my money every month.

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet fail, tech support fail, Virgin media fail.

"I “CMD'd” another ping test which showed that even running just the Super Hub 2 my ping was losing around 30 to 40% of the ping to failed cons."

Were these request time outs?

With just the hub are your speeds rubbish 24/7 or is it more during peak times, evenings and weekends?

Again, with just the hub, is this wired or wireless? If wireless, what happens with a wired connection?

If you post the power levels it might give a clue as to what's happening.

Dave.

0 Kudos
Wulfrune
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet fail, tech support fail, Virgin media fail.d "AGAIN"

Hello Dave, I tried to reply, but all failed AGAIN.

I did a PING test: Ping statistics for 216.58.213.227:
Packets: Sent = 620, Received = 537, Lost = 83 (13% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 29ms, Maximum = 104ms, Average = 32ms

The peaks are the worst, the small hours are the best.

I'm only using the SuperHub 2 wired using CAT 6e's over 2 computers next to each other showing similar results.

I'm attaching a photo, I hope it sheds light on something for you.  Let me know if you need more info and thank you for at least taking an interest which is a lot more than some.

Virgin.jpg

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I can't see the picture yet, has to be approved by someone before it can be viewed. You can just copy and paste the power levels, don't worry about the formatting. If you do some speed tests, what do you get and how do they compare to your package headline speed?

The work they said would be completed in February then pushed back to April, did they say it was to upgrade the area?

The reason I ask is this is typical if there's over utilisation in the area, normal faults usually get fixed within a couple of weeks at most. With over utilisation it can go on for over 2 years with many review dates (the phone staff, especially offshore, say they're fix dates, they're not) before there's any sign of a fix. If you're getting a lot of packet loss during peak times but it's mostly fine off peak, this could be the problem.

Dave.

0 Kudos
Wulfrune
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Downstream Channels Lock Status Channel ID Frequency Modulation Rx Power RxMER Pre RS Errors Post RS Errors

Locked16323000000 Hz256 QAM-0.0 dBmV 37.9 dB1116994
Locked9267000000 Hz256 QAM1.1 dBmV 37.9 dB459298
Locked10275000000 Hz256 QAM0.9 dBmV 37.4 dB983946
Locked11283000000 Hz256 QAM0.9 dBmV 37.6 dB313273
Locked12291000000 Hz256 QAM0.9 dBmV 38.3 dB325294
Locked13299000000 Hz256 QAM0.8 dBmV 38.6 dB330296
Locked14307000000 Hz256 QAM0.5 dBmV 38.6 dB1029986
Locked15315000000 Hz256 QAM0.1 dBmV 38.3 dB993960

Upstream Channels Lock Status Channel ID Frequency Modulation Tx Power Mode Channel Bandwidth Symbol Rate

Locked531000000 HzATDMA43.3 dBmV64QAM6400000 Hz5120 Ksym/sec
NotLocked00 Hz 0 dBmV  0 Ksym/sec
NotLocked00 Hz 0 dBmV  0 Ksym/sec
Locked437600000 HzATDMA44.8 dBmV64QAM6400000 Hz5120 Ksym/sec

Is this what you're looking for dave?
Yes, to upgrade the area, although I'm in the Croyden region and I thought that this area was supposed to be top knotch any how.

The packet loss is at all times sadly Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Wulfrune
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I don't like to allow things to beat me.  I've sat here all evening puzzling out what could have possibly gone wrong and I decided to try an employ "Occam's Razor" this theory states that one should not make unnecessary assumptions and that the answer to a problem is often the simplest.  Given that understanding; I deduced that what is most likely not a brand new router that's at fault and that it's probably something really simple, so I checked the what is laughingly called "SuperHub 2", an oxymoron if ever I came across one.  I took out all the cables in the modem with the sole exception of the one CAT 6e that ran to my computer and guess what?  No packet loss at all, so it appears that it's simply a dodgy SuperHub.

Ping statistics for 212.58.246.55:
Packets: Sent = 740, Received = 740, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 15ms, Maximum = 74ms, Average = 18ms

I guess I'll be asking for a new "SuperHub" and questioning the knowledge of some of Virgin's tech support.

I'm going to try some online gaming now, I'll report back with my findings.

0 Kudos