Menu
RedPyramidThing
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Internet connection broken

Today I recieved a 'Super hub 3.0' to replace the barely functional Scientific Atlanta modem which I was supplied with when I first subscribed to Virgin Media in 2007 (years of wiggling the power cable to make it work have loosened the connection of the port to the board). After going through the setup procedure I was unable to establish a connection to the internet (network connection is wired with ethernet cables).
I spoke with customer service and they were unable to solve the issue (or even give a hint at what the problem might be), but promised to get an engineer out on the 31st of January (in 17 days), which isn't really reasonable, but what could I do?

Since this morning I have managed to temporarily resurrect the old modem by opening it up and wedging the power cable port under the weight of a table leg to apply pressure to the solder points, but after phoning customer service once again and asking if it was possible to at least re-establish the connection with the old modem, they were also completely unable to do that, despite it working earlier this morning. She was at least able to book another engineer for an earlier date than the previous lady promised, but I'm still without service until the 21st at the earliest.

Thing is, I don't really understand how the act of attempting (and failing) to switch from an old modem (which worked outside of power connection issues) to a new hub has resulted in a problem which requires an engineer visit to fix?
0 Kudos
RedPyramidThing
Tuning in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet connection broken

Still no reply I see.

Why is nobody in your company able to offer any assistance AT ALL?

I've now dealt with 3 members of staff at your call centre and the most recent actually sounded confident that he'd fixed the problem and my connection would be up and running within a couple of hours. But here I am, still nothing.

Why is your service such a complete shambles?

My internet was working fine until you tried to activate the new hub you have sent me, and now not only are you apparently incapable of doing that, you can't restore my connection to the way it was before either. I don't understand why this isn't possible?

I'm racking up a huge mobile phone bill with repeated calls to you which have all turned out to be a waste of time.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

this is a community based forum. VM do reply here but can take 5-7 days currently to get to posts.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi RedPyramidThing, 

Thanks for getting in touch to let us know about your issues with your internet connection being broken, I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I have had a look into this further for you and I can see that the reason your connection isn't working is because the outdated package you're on isn't supported by the Hub 3.0. You can either call into our customer service team to get this sorted quickly on 150 free from a Virgin line or 0345 454 1111 from any other.

Alternatively, if you're happy to wait I have a colleague due in later on this evening who deals with customer service and accounts queries and I'll see if she can assist you in resolving this matter.

I look forward to your reply, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
RedPyramidThing
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ok, just called the number and waited for 10 minutes to hear the agent repeatedly state 'Yes, there is a problem with your connection' and tell me to wait for the engineer to come out. If the problem lies with my actual internet package is it possible for you guys to fix this without me having to wait for the engineer or waste yet more money getting nowhere with your call centre staff? I already pay £40pm for 20mb connection, which is about twice as expensive as every other provider and currently I'm getting less than nothing for my money.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi RedPyramidThing, 

Thanks for coming back to me.

My sincere apologies for any inconvenience incurred as I know this must be annoying.

I will send you a PM (purple envelope at the top) with some information regarding this.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos