Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4 (58 Views)

Internet Issues - Moved house. Activated. Was fine. Now super slow.

Hi all,

Hoping that someone can shed some light on what is going on here.

We moved from our old property on the 18th and bought our Virgin Media over with us (and upgraded it). The new kit was sent out, I followed instructions on the box, phoned a number, spoke to some chap who got everything activated last night. (TV is currently in a different location, but WiFi was working so that was all I could test) On my phone using a speed test app I got 173 down and 20 up - happy enough with that). It was working perfectly fine until I plugged in my powerline connector (the same kit I used in the former property). All of a sudden the WiFi speed dropped to be appalling slow (less than 20mb) and when I have done a speed test from my desktop upstairs, it seems to think that I am on a Sky connection? And averages 20mb download. I called customer support who were less than helpful (but friendly enough) - they told me that for them to complete 'full diagnostics' that I would need to hardwire my PC into the router. Now I work in IT, and I totally get why he said that - but I explained to him that it's not possible, my setup is complicated and it would take a good 45 minutes to unpack everything, and another 45 to set it up downstairs next to the router. He insisted and suggested I used a laptop - I don't have a laptop, that's what my desktop is for. . . He then went on to suggest that I 'borrow one' from a friend, family member or neighbour so that he could run full diagnostics. He said that he would do whatever he could over the next couple of hours (?!) but that without having a cabled in connection, he couldn't 100% rule out certain things. Now, I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but that is just stupid. The fact of the matter is that in my old house, powerline was working perfectly fine and in my new house it's not. The powerline adaptors haven't changed, and have always been consistent. The only new things are the new router, the new house, the new package.

0 Kudos
Super solver
Message 2 of 4 (55 Views)

Re: Internet Issues - Moved house. Activated. Was fine. Now super slow.

SL8t7 wrote:

The fact of the matter is that in my old house, powerline was working perfectly fine and in my new house it's not. The powerline adaptors haven't changed, and have always been consistent. The only new things are the new router, the new house, the new package.

..... and a completely new mains wiring configuration ........    Smiley Wink

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4 (52 Views)

[ Edited ]

Ye, part of the new house I guess. But it shouldn't affect the wireless just by plugging in a powerline adaptor; it also doesn't explain why the connection thinks its Sky and not Virgin Media.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4 (30 Views)

So apparently, Dave was more or less spot on. For whatever reason, someone else on the street is using Sky for broadband and is using Powerline. I plugged my router into the powerline in the living room where the cables come in, and it made my router function as an access point, rather than a router. Which explains why it affected the WiFi as well as the powerline upstairs. Massive pain the arse, but nothing that Virgin can do anything about. Old houses, old ring mains and cabling that makes zero sense. Tsk.