Menu
digifool
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent loss of WAN connection

Hi,
After years of excellent broadband service from virgin media we are going through a rough patch where we keep losing the WAN connection (at least once a week) and it seems to be getting worse.

In the last couple of years I had got used to disconnecting the hub from the VM cable and power, waiting 10 minutes and then plugging it back in. This seemed to be required about once a month.

The hub had been swapped out and an engineer did come and check levels etc but this is now happening more often and instead of waiting 10 minutes, I'm having to wait up to 24 hours for the connection to come back. Phoning virgin support hasn't proved to be much help as I just get told there are problems in the area which involves digging up the road and various things but this doesn't really help me. If I book an engineer they come out and tell me everything is OK (which it is because after 24 hours I've always got the connection back).

Is there still a problem in the area reference 31 (PE27)? If not is it possible for somebody to investigate the problem further than just asking me to disconnect the hub for 10 minutes and then reconnect it?

I appreciate intermittent problems can be tricky to troubleshoot and I am grateful for any help you can provide.

Many thanks, Dave

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent loss of WAN connection

Hi Dave,

Thanks for posting back on the community. It's nice to have you here.

I'm sorry to learn you are having an issue with your broadband connection.

From checking your account, the line and hub have come back as fine. There are no faults reported and no time-outs reported since the router has been online.

Are you able to post the network log from the router settings please for us to check over? To do this type in 192.168.0.1 in the address bar, no need to sign in, on the top right you will see router status. Within here you will have network log. You can copy and paste this information, that would be great.

Also it may be worth creating a Broadband Quality Monitor to check the performance of the connection. If you do set up the BQM make sure that you go into your router settings > Advanced Settings > Ping > and tick Respond to ICMP echo requests sent to WAN IP.

Let me know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
digifool
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam,

I appreciate your response. The network log (and everything else) seems to get reset when I reboot the router so there isn't anything much in it:

06/04/2017  10:42:02  2436694078  TOD established 
 06/04/2017  08:53:34  82000500  Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0; 

The BQM graph looks like this:

bcd6ccef57dd9b460088df9ec62b3261-06-04-2017

Network status from hub:

vmnetworkstatus.png

Hope this information helps.

Thanks, Dave

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hey Dave,

Hope you're well Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear about the problems with your connection. Like Sam, I don't see anything obviously wrong when I test your connection. I wonder if you're able to perform some tests with your Hub in Modem Mode?

Hope to hear back from you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
digifool
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Latest BQM graph, does seem to be getting worse as time goes on.

608f22aaccfc1419cfc9ec468aefcad8-13-04-2017

I'm happy to perform tests in modem mode but like I say the problem is intermittent. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi digifool, 

Thanks for the post! I am sorry to hear about your issues with your broadband connection having intermittent drops. I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I have tested things from here and I noticed that your Hubs logs show a number of time outs inside. In order to proceed with resolving this for you.

I will send you a PM (purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required in order to proceed with making the booking. Please respond to me there and I'll get this sorted for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos