Menu
darren-w-gray
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent Internet Drops

Hi Everyone,

I am having an intermittent problem with my Router/Broadband  and I am trying to work out where the fault lies before trying to explain it to the call center tech team.

I have a Superhub 2ac. Software V1.01.11 Hardware 1.03

So what happens is that I randomly lose the Internet to all the devices on my network. This includes direct ethernet connected PC's and NAS boxes, indirect connection to a media center using a Powerline and wireless devices on both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz. The LAN network via the router still works and I can still access devices across it.

Via the GUI I can see that the WAN IP remains static, the session time for the router does not reset. On my Windows 10 units I see the wireless connection remain intact, but a loss of connection to the Internet.

The first I know it happening is when my Internet gaming dies, Google Drive starts hunting for a connection, or my FTP cloud transfer fails, or my web browser refuses to load a page. When I am on the computer for a period of time I can see it sometimes happen a few times an hour, sometimes I have a few hours between occurrences.

As it is plugged into a surge protected strip, it appears none of the other devices have any sort of power blip.

So what have I already done:

• Rebooted the device using the GUI
  • Power cycled the device with a 60 second disconnection
  • Ensured that the TV service does not get affected (albeit stuck on Disney Junior for hours a day, I wish it would)

I am not entirely sure where I should be troubleshooting. Does anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos
darren-w-gray
Tuning in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent Internet Drops

Just as a bit of further information as I have caught the router when I have lost connection.

• The blue tick icon and the blue "up and down arrow" symbol were both solid blue when I first noticed the connection drop. 
  • They both extinguished and the arrow symbol started flashing green.
  • Then they both went solid blue again

This time around though, all devices but one recorded as a new connection. It runs on 5Ghz (an Android phone) but then so does one of the devices that reset. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi darren-1-gray, 

Thanks for posting to let us know that you're having issues with your Hub disconnecting. I can appreciate this can be an inconvenience so apologies for any bother.

I have tested things from here and I noticed a number of time outs inside the Hubs logs and I would like to arrange for an engineer to visit and carry out some further investigations.

I will send you a PM (Purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required to proceed with making the booking. Please respond to me there and I'll ensure this all gets booked and secured for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
darren-w-gray
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Adam, 

Since writing this I have spoken to the disconnections team as I got my most recent increase letter.

As part of the deal for me to stay they sent me a new router which will "solve things"; albeit only a Superhub 2.5(?) Netgear rather than the new SuperHub 3 that I was expecting!

Ho hum though, another 12 month tie in!

Darren

0 Kudos
darren-w-gray
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

So, with the new Superhub 2ac (I also still have the old one - never received a returning envelope) I am starting to get this fault again but with a slight twist.

I am randomly, although more frequently over the last few weeks, getting kicked off of the wifi element of my router. I am not sure on the ethernet connection as I am using the wi-fi downstairs and the computer is in my 'home office'. By the time I would get up there any connection would have reset itself.

What is happening this time though appears to be that I am only getting kicked off the 5G connection. I immediately check my wireless networks and can still see the 5G and 2G networks and if I immediately go to reconnect to the 5G I get "Can't connect to the network" from Windows 10.

I can't have a Superhub with the same fault so soon after being replaced? Surely?

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi darren-w-gray, 

Thanks for letting us know that since changing your Super Hub, you've started losing the WiFi connection. I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I have tested the connection from here and I can see that your connection looks great! No errors or time outs inside the Hubs logs and all of the power levels are within the preferred ranges. 

Are you still having these issues? If so, have you tried changing the wireless channels?

Also, could you please respond to me here with a recent copy of your Hubs logs for me to look at, you can find these by opening your internet browser and typing 192.168.0.1 into the address bar, before logging in, it will say 'Router Status' in the top right hand corner. Click there and all the information needed is inside.

Take care, 

Thanks,

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos